Sponsored by:

"NEW" Cayenne Aluminum & Carbon Fiber Drive Shafts

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Villian
Surprise, surprise. You actually substantiated a post for once. I was not aware of that thread. So let's say that the average failure is indeed around 80-90k miles for the first one like you've said. Is that acceptable? Do you really think that a properly balanced, single-piece shaft that's stronger than the OEM one wouldn't last longer? Why not? I'm all ears.
I've spent $3,500 this year in gas for just myself. I dropped $1,200 on tires which will need replacing in another 12-15 months. When I total up *all* the money spent on this car between myself and the PO from when it was brand new, it's $21K (excludes acquisition). $500 for a cardan shaft that I won't have to replace for 7 years is not even a blip on my expense sheet. It's buttery smooth, needs no inspecting, and I won't bat an eye when I replace it preventatively at 170K miles. I probably won't even own it at that point. It's a dirt simple DIY and it's a wear item in my book.

Originally Posted by Villian
You can also observe this effect inside your Cayenne if you playback a 33hz note at a decent volume with a woman inside (I bet you didn't know that..). So yes, I'm not a retard and I fully understand the concept of Resonance. I also fail to see how this relates to a perfectly balanced drive shaft. These 1 piece shafts are tested for any resonances between a range of 0 and 9500 RPMs. So while natural resonances can still exist in the drive shaft outside of that range, they will never exist within that range or during driving conditions in any Cayenne. That is, unless you can manage to make your drive shaft spin at a rate faster than 9500 RPM's...in which case I'd love to know how you managed that!

Resonance cannot exist without a cause. The helo and Tacoma Narrows bridge both had simple causes. A perfectly balanced drive shaft in a Cayenne has no cause to oscillate (For lack of a better term). The biggest reason I see for Porsche not producing these as original equipment is because it would add to the production cost and cut their margins. A 1 piece drive shaft demands higher quality, and with that comes added cost. That's not even counting the additional R&D, and material cost.
Nope. I'm done. No point in me wasting time with someone who just makes **** up as they go because they have no idea what they're talking about.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:42 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
the % of owners who post to online forums is < 5% mostly disgruntled for one reason or another
Hey - wait a minute...! It also includes cheap-asses like me who don't want to pay stealership when I can learn how to DIY. Please add "cheap-asses" next time.

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
A Cardan every 65K isn't too bad but we all like to see improvements and I for one would like to keep hearing feedback on the lindsey (The Driveshaft Shop) shaft... If the feedback on the Lindsey shaft is great that may very well be my next shaft. Only time & mileage will tell but both Lindsey Racing and The Driveshaft Shop have great reputations.
What he said. Now can we close this crazy thread until someone who bought one has something new to say?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seankrider
Hey - wait a minute...! It also includes cheap-asses like me who don't want to pay stealership when I can learn how to DIY. Please add "cheap-asses" next time.

What he said. Now can we close this crazy thread until someone who bought one has something new to say?

Point taken cheapass
Old 12-10-2014, 11:20 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Please pay very very close attention to the announcement.....It cannot grow if you do not feed it.

Ignore it, and it will die..
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2014, 11:24 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Deal

Quick Reply: "NEW" Cayenne Aluminum & Carbon Fiber Drive Shafts