Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world 06 CTT mileage report

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:38 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

And here I thought **** types drove Volvos.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

DWC +1

I mean guys, wtf, does it really make a freaking difference if you're getting 16.5 vs 17.2 mpg?? If so, go buy a prius, OMG.
With the gas prices on your side of the Atlantic, I wouldn't give a damn even if I got 1mpg.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:15 PM
spooltime
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
And here I thought **** types drove Volvos.

Heck, I'm just thrilled my wifey hasn't raised hell about my CTTS's lack of MPG.

But I do admit, this thread has got me thinking about whether the use of normal or GMO (genetically modified organism) corn in the ethanol used in my local blend of Super 93 could affect my MPG. I'm thinking maybe fewer MPGs when the ethanol is made with GMO corn. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited by spooltime; 10-10-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
I mean guys, wtf, does it really make a freaking difference if you're getting 16.5 vs 17.2 mpg??
Some of us bought diesels specifically for the fuel consumption

I'm not hyper-miler, but I do like seeing 33mpg on my dash after a 25 mile trip (speaking of, while 10 miles of 26.4 dropped my overall 0.3mpg, 25 miles at 33.7 didn't raise it back up. The PCM really doesn't understand math...).

And I have a 996 that pours it's fuel on the ground quite nicely thank you

Originally Posted by spooltime
I'm thinking maybe fewer MPGs when the ethanol is made with GMO corn. Anyone else have an opinion?
Ethanol typically gives worse numbers than straight gas (unless the engine is specially turned for Ethanol). That's part of the reason you get better milage in the winter in areas that switch back to 100% gas for the cold months.

As far as a difference between normal vs GMO, I'd be shocked if there is a significant difference that would be measurable outside of controlled laboratory testing.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:30 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I cared about gas mileage I would have bought a CTT however I do keep a close eye on it as a change in it is often the first indicator of a number of mechanical issues.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it funny when people say the Cayenne gets poor gas mileage.

You must compare apples to apples!!!

It gets awesome gas mileage for a 500+ HP 5 passenger, 7716lb towing capacity, 4x4 that drives like a sports car.

Quit comparing them against your neighbors Prius that won't do any of those things!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:14 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Who's comparing them to another car or even complaining about the gas mileage? The complaint here is that the PCM is not accurate at what it tells you.

As mcbit said, your fuel consumption is a good indicator something is off so its good to know what you are getting over time so you can catch a variance and address it. Doesn't matter if your average is 12 or 42.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by gnat
Who's comparing them to another car or even complaining about the gas mileage? The complaint here is that the PCM is not accurate at what it tells you.
Who? YOU for one!

Some of us bought diesels specifically for the fuel consumption

I'm not hyper-miler, but I do like seeing 33mpg on my dash .....
Then there were these other quotes in the thread too.

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
DWC +1

I mean guys, wtf, does it really make a freaking difference if you're getting 16.5 vs 17.2 mpg?? If so, go buy a prius, OMG.
Originally Posted by spooltime

Heck, I'm just thrilled my wifey hasn't raised hell about my CTTS's lack of MPG.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I compared it to a Prius? Not in that post (or any other post of mine that you will find on the internet). I simply stated that I did buy the diesel (the implication being over another C model) for the mileage and that I enjoy getting it. I also enjoy letting its torque out from time to time and that it drives like a Porsche should. I also stated (rather tongue in cheek) that I have a 996 if I really want to bun gas just for the hell of it. Still no comparisons made.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

I compared it to a Prius? Not in that post (or any other post of mine that you will find on the internet). I simply stated that I did buy the diesel (the implication being over another C model) for the mileage and that I enjoy getting it. I also enjoy letting its torque out from time to time and that it drives like a Porsche should. I also stated (rather tongue in cheek) that I have a 996 if I really want to bun gas just for the hell of it. Still no comparisons made.
Never said you compared it to a Prius.

But....your post........nah....never mind
Old 10-12-2013, 11:27 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

As mcbit said, your fuel consumption is a good indicator something is off so its good to know what you are getting over time so you can catch a variance and address it. Doesn't matter if your average is 12 or 42.
I wonder if the PCM's inaccuracy is partly or wholly based on fuel content. Frex, the PCM may be measuring the fuel flow perfectly but the blends will surely change in energy content. Here where I am, the pure petrol blends have all vanished replaced by at least 10% ethanol which helps the RON/MON rating but hurts fuel mileage. In addition, fuel mixtures vary by season with the winter blends yielding poorer mileage than summer ones - even before the dilution with ethanol.

Quick Reply: Real world 06 CTT mileage report