Sponsored by:

958: Door trim coming off

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 958: Door trim coming off

I just noticed that the trim at the top of my door above the window (should be chrome, but I got the black option) has lifted off a bit at the rear edge of the door. I haven't had a chance to look closely at it, but it looks like it may snap/clip in place (though I couldn't push it back in and get it to stay). Is that correct (and I can hopefully snap it back in) or do I need to get the dealer to fix it (under warranty)?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:29 PM
DenverSteve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, anytime something is array, and it's covered by warranty, that's the way to go.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DenverSteve
For me, anytime something is array, and it's covered by warranty, that's the way to go.
Generally I agree, but I also prefer to fix the simple stuff myself rather than hassle with getting it into the dealer.

Unfortunately the issue is moot at this point. On the way to work that morning a construction site sprayed me with what I thought was just mud. No idea what it is, but it likes to eat clear coat and plastic. Initial estimate for the insurance was 5k, but both shops I took it to said that there will be at least 10k in supplements. Pretty much every plastic or rubber unpainted part needs to be replaced (3400 of the 5k ) except the tail lights. Insurance wants to polish the headlights, but I'm going to fight them on that as I don't want yellow lights next year on my 2013 vehicle...

The shops expect the full clear coat will have to be redone on the entire thing.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:27 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I too have a trim issue, but its interior. The Bottom half of the driver side B-pillar trim piece gets sideswiped regularly as my right hip swings into the driver seat. I've had to reseat it more than a dozen times already. Recently found a trim clip while cleaning under the seat, so its a warranty fix at my next service

//greg//
Old 10-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Generally I agree, but I also prefer to fix the simple stuff myself rather than hassle with getting it into the dealer. Unfortunately the issue is moot at this point. On the way to work that morning a construction site sprayed me with what I thought was just mud. No idea what it is, but it likes to eat clear coat and plastic. Initial estimate for the insurance was 5k, but both shops I took it to said that there will be at least 10k in supplements. Pretty much every plastic or rubber unpainted part needs to be replaced (3400 of the 5k ) except the tail lights. Insurance wants to polish the headlights, but I'm going to fight them on that as I don't want yellow lights next year on my 2013 vehicle... The shops expect the full clear coat will have to be redone on the entire thing.
Hope you got the name of the construction company!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:27 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Yeap and I also have an insurance company to deal with fighting them
Old 10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Here is a collage of what it looks like. Just looking at it looks like it is something that will wash right off, but the stuff is on there so hard that the detailer that identified it as a problem was having trouble with their solvent and a razor blade
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 958: Door trim coming off