Sponsored by:

Water leak rear trunk pillar after rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM
kbendon
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak rear trunk pillar after rain

Looks like I am having this problem seen many post but would like advise anyway, car parked not driven last two days in rain, small aprt of the headliner and passengers hatch pillar wet down to the the subwoofer. No rails on roof just the channels, took the channel off and i seems like there is water around each hole. Any help appreciated. New owner of 2006 ctt two weeks. :
Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
HansStuck
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the exact same problem I'm currently working on correcting. I'll be dropping the headliner this weekend (the Vegas line is 12 plastic trim clips broken....anyone want the over/under?) to diagnose and fix the problem. From doing a ton of research, it sounds like the primary suspect is a sunroof drain fitting that sits just behind the sunroof (non-panorama roof).....they start leaking where the plastic fitting meets the drain tube and it has to have silicone sealant or similar applied to stop the leak.

Culprit number two could be a leak from underneath the rear "spoiler" trim panel, but I'd say that's a lot more unlikely than the suspect mentioned above.

I'll keep you in the loop if I get to it this weekend. I had to trash the bose box as it was trashed after being submerged, so I have this repair on my "FIX ASAP" list.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Been there, done that, BOSE trashed, leaking pano roof, PITA. Luckily fixed under warranty.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you open the rear main hatch and remove the covers from the hinges, you will notice two small drainage holes. These get clogged with debris. Unclog them with a piece of wire as this may be your problem. Had the same issue, BOSE amplifier for subwoofer got trashed, never to work again. Since I unblocked these two drainage holes, I haven't had any water filling the spare wheel area.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:38 AM
kbendon
AutoX

thanks and keep me posted
Old 09-17-2013, 06:47 PM
RushDL
7th Gear

Last edited by RushDL; 09-17-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: got the quote wrong
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
RushDL
7th Gear

Default hepps

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Been there, done that, BOSE trashed, leaking pano roof, PITA. Luckily fixed under warranty.
4ocious:
I have this issue and have a full warranty on my 2006 CTT. But, the dealer is a real *** about trying to "lawyer" their way out of doing anything, and now claim the warranty does not cover it. Here are a couple of her quotes:

1st-"The warranty company will not cover it. Since there's no parts that have technically failed on the vehicle yet its considered an adjustment. I tried the angle that it will cause other issues down the road but I didn't get any help. The negative is that If it does, it still probably won't be covered because of an outside influence. Its not an internal mechanical failure."

2nd-"No. It's the packing around the seal, not the seal itself. There's no part number for this because it's an adjustment. Therefore, they have nothing they can technically cover. You are more than welcome to call them as well."

Anyway, it is obviously covered by Fidelity Platinum but for the life of me cant figure out this chicks hangup. Maybe, a snapshot of the service paper stating warranty and what was put in would be real helpful.

If you can think of a way to 'splain dis to her in a language that she can easily understand I'd be greatful.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RushDL
for the life of me cant figure out this chicks hangup.
They get more money for the work when you have to pay for it compared to when a warranty covers it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry RushDL but my repair was covered by my OEM warranty, not an after market warranty. FWIW my spare wheel well was completely full and the Bose subwoofer was totally immersed in water. This is a known, well documented, and potentially expensive problem. I wish I could be more helpful.

4ocious

Originally Posted by RushDL
4ocious:
I have this issue and have a full warranty on my 2006 CTT. But, the dealer is a real *** about trying to "lawyer" their way out of doing anything, and now claim the warranty does not cover it. Here are a couple of her quotes:

1st-"The warranty company will not cover it. Since there's no parts that have technically failed on the vehicle yet its considered an adjustment. I tried the angle that it will cause other issues down the road but I didn't get any help. The negative is that If it does, it still probably won't be covered because of an outside influence. Its not an internal mechanical failure."

2nd-"No. It's the packing around the seal, not the seal itself. There's no part number for this because it's an adjustment. Therefore, they have nothing they can technically cover. You are more than welcome to call them as well."

Anyway, it is obviously covered by Fidelity Platinum but for the life of me cant figure out this chicks hangup. Maybe, a snapshot of the service paper stating warranty and what was put in would be real helpful.

If you can think of a way to 'splain dis to her in a language that she can easily understand I'd be greatful.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Whee6
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Orantes
If you open the rear main hatch and remove the covers from the hinges, you will notice two small drainage holes. These get clogged with debris. Unclog them with a piece of wire as this may be your problem. Had the same issue, BOSE amplifier for subwoofer got trashed, never to work again. Since I unblocked these two drainage holes, I haven't had any water filling the spare wheel area.
i know this was an old post, but im currently having the same water problem in trunk.. im on my 1st replacement amplifier/sub and im on my 2nd PCM unit.. Dealership never could identify the problem they just kept charging me for new parts. I opened the back and pulled out the plastic spare tire kit holder and it was filled with water, right next to the battery and fuse boxes. Where exactly are these drain holes? ive seen where water spills out when i open trunk after rain, but thats pretty much everywhere including the lights. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Uncle Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if they actually teach these mechanics how to diagnose problems with our Cayennes. I just pick up 2008 CS from the Stealership and after 2 weeks, they couldn't find the water issue on the passenger side or the leaking going into the spare tire well. I'm finding these things from you all. What am I paying them for?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:02 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I suppose you are paying them to take your money?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Uncle Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not anymore. I'm going search and search until I find the service manual. From there, I'll be able to do all of mine own work.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 AM
cayenne957
AutoX

I think thats what I'm looking for, someone told me something similar about the leak being from underneath the rear spoiler trim panel, but I haven't figured how to do it yet, any more details or pictures please? Do you mean the rear glass hatch, or the entire trunk?

My history with water leaks has been as follows:
1- First it was a mess everywhere, so I started by taking off the roof rack channels, siliconed the screws and holes and thought I was done, but couple weeks of rain later and it leaked again.
2- I decided to open the sunroof and pour water into each of the 4 drain holes individually, and watched it all leak inside, so I lowered the headliner and siliconed those drain tubes to their ball joints and again thought I was done, but few weeks later and it leaked.
3- Finally, I laser cut a piece of car wrap vinyl to a larger offset of the sunroof, and I covered the entire sunroof hatch! Voila, No more water leaks and it was all dry EXCEPT for the D pillar, the rear right side of the car. This is why I have no other suspect but the spoiler trim panel.

So if anyone has any details about how to fix water leakage from the rear spoiler, please share.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:09 PM
PeterJim
1st Gear

Thank you! Dug out plenty of muck from both sides - in fact the first side I couldn't see a drain hole at all

Last edited by PeterJim; 03-14-2021 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Auto correct failed me!

Quick Reply: Water leak rear trunk pillar after rain