Sponsored by:

Key Fob Programming Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM
wthayer
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Key Fob Programming Failure

I recently bought a nice 2011 CS that came with only one key. After doing a bit of research, I used eBay to buy a second key that appears identical - exact same FCC ID, exact same part number(s). The only difference I see is that the old one says "47/10" and the new one says "36/10" which I'm guessing are the manufacturing dates in weeks/months, which places them very close.

When I dropped it at the dealer to be programmed, the service advisor said that it probably wouldn't work and that he has to enter the VIN when ordering a key and the key comes programmed from the factory, although they then have to reprogram it (whatever that means). Sure enough, they tried it and told me it wouldn't take the coding.

Does this make sense? Has anyone had luck buying a used key for a 958 and getting it reprogrammed? Any ideas on how I can get the new key to work?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A used key cannot be reprogrammed, same problem here
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM
wthayer
AutoX

Can anyone explain why this is the case? I believe you mudman2, but I'm trying to understand it - something to do with the immobilizer chip? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Could be to do with types , I am sure there are various

Some people have purchased keys off eBay and switched the blade and the pill from a worn key but unless your really lucky PIWIS will not allow a "foreign" key to be included
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd imagine it's a security issue.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 AM
TheDatanator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this helps but when I took delivery of my '14 981CS, the car came with only one key. My advisor told me I get two keys but the second key is ordered from Germany when a car is delivered. The key is somehow tied to the VIN and the mothership in Germany is where this happens. The process took about 10 days. Once the second key arrived, I had to schedule a visit to the dealer to have the key coded to the car. I

I'm new to Porsche so I don't yet know what's fact or fiction as I only know BMW's ways from the last 15 years of their quirks and nonsense with the computers and coding.

I have to wonder if this activity - whatever it is - at the mothership needs to either take place ( or be undone ) before your eBay key can be coded to work... Just a thought.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Sounds very much like dealer BS to me
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 AM
TheDatanator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Sounds very much like dealer BS to me
That was my thought too, but I didn't have a choice but to let them do whatever it was they did if I wanted that second key. I wonder of anyone taking recent delivery of a new Porsche has had a similar experience...? I also wonder if this process is valid - do some dealers simply order the spare key and code it so the customer doesn't have to wait? Ie. do the work ahead of purchase so the car is complete when a customer buys...??
Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

I had a similar experience. My '08 came with a single key, bought a second. Indy tech was unable to program two keys, apparently the tool programs one key then stops, doesn't proceed to the second key. He does not have this problem with 911 family keys, believes there's a bug in the software. I have yet to take the car and keys to a dealer.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I got Fobs off ebay one was able to be coded first was not and I was able to return for a refund.

I assume one was new and other was not.

Dealer coded them for free.

Finding a HAA, Valeo of Huff blank, was a pain, as they only sell to OEMs, not consumers.

Getting someone to cut it was a pain too as they cheap knock offs from china ruin key cutters $150 bits (knock offs are steel, OEM are a mixed metal and softer)

Answer it can be done on the cheap, but you have to work for it, I spent under $100 but only because of dealer good will, ebay hassles and tracking down key cutter.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I spoke to my dealer. Service Adviser told me that they all come with 2 but that some get lost. He hates that because getting another is a PIA
Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 AM
wthayer
AutoX

I'm continuing to research my key (re)programming issue just 'cause I'm cheap and stubborn. I found an interesting video on YouTube that appears to show a PIWIS II tester being used to first try to reprogram a Panamera key and fail, then to "repair the immobilizer" (4:09 in the video), then to proceed to successfully program two keys. There's no sound so I might be completely misinterpreting what's going on, but it does look promising. Is there anyone here with PIWIS II experience who can weigh in on this technique? I'm half tempted to ask my dealer to try it.

Last edited by wthayer; 09-13-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 475 Posts

I bought my P!g with only one key, so I'm following this with interest...
Old 09-14-2013, 10:19 PM
wthayer
AutoX

Does anyone know of an independent shop that has a PIWIS II? That (or a dealer willing break the rules) seems to be the key to getting this to work.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

When I picked up my CS in December, '12, it came with one active key and one non functional key (battery was dead).

I thought a new battery would revive the second key, but no luck. Ended up taking it to the dealer for programming. They were able to get the second key to work, but I ended buying a new key too, just in case

So, if you are counting, there are three active keys and they all work.

The dealer seems to be, no pun intended, the key. :-)

Quick Reply: Key Fob Programming Failure