Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New with Salvage / Rebuild Title?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:52 PM
JD305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be cool...if they can update the computer with that information!

I'm digging your avatar..LOL!!!

Originally Posted by Divot
I think the PIWIS would blow up as soon as it was plugged in.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing is also that that the definition and longevity of a salvage title itself varies from state to state.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:15 PM
JD305
Instructor

If you could save $30K based on KBB value...would you pull the trigger? Obviously there is a big >IF< there? Condition? Why was it salvaged? Etc?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have seen sandy cars before and after repair. Guys who take up the task of repairing them know what they are doing and can make the car look VERY good. The longevity of a car that took even the smallest swim in salt water is something I wouldnt bet on.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I have 2 thoughts.

Another board I was on, someone got a "new" hurricane sandy vehicle that was a VW over 40k list for 12k dropped to his door.

He cleaned it, dried out the carpets etc. water as over the door sill but below the seat level.

He spent about 3k of his money and his own time fixing it. This 2013 model had less than 5000 miles on it when he decided to sell it.

He was asking in the high 20s I think but in the end sold it for 17k. Too many people NOT interested in salvage titles.

2nd thought however you justify it, you have a salvaged car that has potential damage that could have been caused by the event that salvaged it in the first place, and you are asking Porsche to foot the bill (not the dealer, as Porsche reimburses them). Just because you can get away with it, doesn't make it right. While I won't say it is immoral, I would say unethical and I myself would not do it based on that.

Too many people these days seem to take advantage of things because the can get away with it even though they know it is wrong, it is the new normal. We see it in welfare, crime and how we treat each other.

If it has a salvage title and you know it does, as someone mentioned, pleading ignorance is no excuse, and all warranty work on you VIN is more than likely tracked by PCNA.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM
JD305
Instructor

That is my moral dilemma...my russian grandmother put the fear of being honest many decades ago...I couldn't steal a pack of gum if my breath smelled like dead possum.

I just asked the original question because the seller mentioned about taking it to the dealer and able to get warranty work done on it?...curious as to what everyone really considers as "salvage"? Adjusters make a living off of fighting with insurance companies to get policy holders more money....even if the damage is superficial.

I appreciate all the input...and it makes for a good thread discussion.....luxury cars that are salvage title.

Originally Posted by touareg
I have 2 thoughts.

Another board I was on, someone got a "new" hurricane sandy vehicle that was a VW over 40k list for 12k dropped to his door.

He cleaned it, dried out the carpets etc. water as over the door sill but below the seat level.

He spent about 3k of his money and his own time fixing it. This 2013 model had less than 5000 miles on it when he decided to sell it.

He was asking in the high 20s I think but in the end sold it for 17k. Too many people NOT interested in salvage titles.

2nd thought however you justify it, you have a salvaged car that has potential damage that could have been caused by the event that salvaged it in the first place, and you are asking Porsche to foot the bill (not the dealer, as Porsche reimburses them). Just because you can get away with it, doesn't make it right. While I won't say it is immoral, I would say unethical and I myself would not do it based on that.

Too many people these days seem to take advantage of things because the can get away with it even though they know it is wrong, it is the new normal. We see it in welfare, crime and how we treat each other.

If it has a salvage title and you know it does, as someone mentioned, pleading ignorance is no excuse, and all warranty work on you VIN is more than likely tracked by PCNA.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:55 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
For my part I had no idea about the salvage clause until you posted it so I would have happily taken such a car in and asked for/expected warranty coverage. Had they asked I wouldn't have hid the fact though. Now that I do know, however, I completely agree that knowingly trying to claim warranty service is seriously not cool at best.

That said any salvage car I look at is so old or has so many miles that the idea of it still having a warranty is a foreign concept so it's all academic for me
Old 09-04-2013, 05:07 PM
NormD
Instructor

A friend of mine had a rebuilt title Volvo S60 he brought it in for routine service and was told it was free and he was still covered under warranty. A nice surprise they did a few updates and charged him for a broken wire not covered.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
As mentioned here. There are a LOT of reasons cars get totaled and end up with a salvage title that have nothing to do with damage.

One very easy one I've seen a lot is theft. Car gets stolen and abandoned somewhere like a corporate parking garage or 24 hour grocery store lot. A place where a non-junker can sit for months unnoticed.

The insurance company pays out on it as a total loss due to theft. When it is finally recovered it may be in 100% totally perfect shape, especially if left in a parking garage. But still receive a salvage title because it was payed out on as a total loss.

Not always. I know of a 2004 Cayenne Turbo that had a minor fender bender with only a few hundred miles on the clock when they very first came out. You simply couldn't buy the replacement parts from Porsche yet. (Headlight, bumper). So with only minor damage they decided to "total it out" so the insurance could buy the owner a new car. All because the parts couldn't be bought yet.
It may not have been that case. There are many policies that will replace the vehicle with a new one in the event of an accident in the first year (or whatever term they choose). This may have been a case like that.

As far as I know replacement parts are available immediately when a new model is introduced. They are making the cars and therefore have parts for it.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

I suppose its all depends on what you are trying to get done. Warranty is for manufacturer defects in quality and workmanship. They would never replace something you damaged regardless of the title one way or the other.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM
JD305
Instructor

Your statement is very precise...but there is a segment of society that can't exactly grab the "high-hanging" fruit from the porsche tree...so they look around for the best deal they can find to own "the ultimate driving machine"

Every guy I ever knew in school...middle class, poor, or of "means" dreams to own a Porsche....whether used, new or salvage for that matter.

What school teacher, firefighter,nurse??...would ever be able to own a porsche???...if not .... because it's used or some great deal offered to them?

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
This isn't the kind of decision to base on anonymous forum responses. Why not ask PNA or a dealer? Or read the Porsche warranty text. If it explicitly excludes salvaged vehicles, it seems to me that you'd be at felony level fraud if you tried to get any significant warranty work.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
It may not have been that case. There are many policies that will replace the vehicle with a new one in the event of an accident in the first year (or whatever term they choose). This may have been a case like that.

As far as I know replacement parts are available immediately when a new model is introduced. They are making the cars and therefore have parts for it.

But I know the owner and that was indeed the case. I was not speculating on it.

Parts to rebuild brand new models are often not available right away because they are using them all up to get the new cars out the door as fast as they can.

Quick Reply: New with Salvage / Rebuild Title?