Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Model Long Term Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not just 958s but 957 V8s also have redesigned coolant pipes.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Yeah that's him. Unless there is other stuff that has happened since then that he hasn't posted about. It should also be considered that he picked it up from CarMax (so no reliable history info) and subsequently found out that the car was involved in a drug investigation (makes it more probable that it wasn't the most well cared for).

If I recall he had to replace his drive shaft too which isn't really "normal maintenance", but it is a well known issue.

There are of course exceptions (and those are mostly coolant pipes which is also well known and easy to address before hand) but it's far from common for any model Cayenne to leave it's driver stuck on the side of the road. They have their quirks and problems, but overall the reliability is good. Just like with any other car, some people get one that requires nothing beyond regular maintenance while others get one with an endless stream of minor issues (some of that also has to do with the personality of the owner too).
Hmmmm, let's review-

Cardan shaft
Thermostadt
Leaking pano roof
Xenon headlights (both replaced)
Passenger seat airbag sensor

What's new since my last update-

Engine oil leak
Exhaust gateway sensor
Intermittent PCM radio reception

I stand by my previous post, my pig is a pig but I think I'm close to getting most of my problems resolved. It's now basically a new 2010 GTS.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:29 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
2010 GTS reliability is TERRIBLE! Avoid this model at all cost!
Please! You have to be smarter than to issue such a ridiculous blanket statement. And then reiterate your post when chellenged?! Especially considering the previous owner was likely much more interested in appearances than in maintenance.

As the owner of 2 GTSs, the only items that have failed are 1 slave cylinder and 1 rear hatch lock over 40K miles. Hardly warranting "TERRIBLE!" for a an entire model. Which is also inaccurate in that your issues would appliy to the entire line of 957 Cayennes, not just the GTS.

Get your emotions in check, use your head and post something useful.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM
mcbit
Drifting

^^^+1 in 45,000 miles the back fell off the driver's seat and that was the sum of my woes.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you choose to take a gamble on a third party auction reseller, you get what you deserve, if it was any where near decent it would have gone thru better channels and maybe into CPO

You rolled the dice and got a bad one
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Let's be clear. My GTS has been serviced by Porsche since new, I located the service records and they are extensive. Prior to purchasing I did have a Porsche PPI performed that detected some of the early reliability problems that have now been corrected. The former owner and where I bought my GTS from has nothing to do with the current reliability of my GTS. From my perspective and my ownership experience my GTS continues to unreliable. I'll continue to post my opinion and I really don't care that I appear to have I've struck a nerve with some of you. You got lucky, I got a pig.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Yes but there is a clear reason why the dealer did not sell the car, that is even more clear now you have explained that they serviced it, dealers LOVE cars they sold and maintained because they know what to CPO and what not to, the ones they put in the not category they don't want under any circumstance.

Let the buyer beware
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's be clear. My GTS has been serviced by Porsche since new, I located the service records and they are extensive. Prior to purchasing I did have a Porsche PPI performed that detected some of the early reliability problems that have now been corrected. The former owner and where I bought my GTS from has nothing to do with the current reliability of my GTS. From my perspective and my ownership experience my GTS continues to unreliable. I'll continue to post my opinion and I really don't care that I appear to have I've struck a nerve with some of you. You got lucky, I got a pig.
Much better than the blanket indictment of your first post. I have no problem with citing your experience.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The former owner and where I bought my GTS from has nothing to do with the current reliability of my GTS.
They have everything to do with it. Just because it had it's regular service done at a dealer doesn't mean anything more than they got their regular service done at a dealer. How did he drive it? Did he break it in properly? All those things can have a big impact on reliability.

I will give you that you probably just got a bad one (it's hard to chalk a leaking sunroof and headlight issues up to the PO), but that doesn't make the entire 2010 GTS line unreliable. I had a Jag XK8 that was nothing but trouble for me, but it was the exception as Jag was getting great reliability marks after Ford went in and straightened them out. I just got an annoying one (car shutting off when I used the turn signal and made a left turn was the most fun...), but that doesn't mean the whole line was crap.

Oh, and we all bought P!gs
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTS 6 spd
Much better than the blanket indictment of your first post. I have no problem with citing your experience.

My only issue was that his original thread listed a whole bunch of stuff like "oil change" and "x tire shop balanced wheel wrong" in the list of things "wrong" with his gts....and most of the other stuff was covered under warranty too if I remember correctly. So there wasn't a whole lot to complain about.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:37 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Good feedback, my GTS reliability issues appear to be abating. I like my GTS (not quite a lot yet) and feel it will soon be a good reliable truck once I work through a few remaining minor issues. As noted earlier it's basically a new GTS so it would be foolish to get rid of it now considering all I've recently been through (was seriously considering a 2011 BMW X5 M replacement). I personally know and have confidence in the people who work on my truck so I know my repairs were done correctly. And thank goodness I have an extended warranty (from Carmax) that allows me to take my GTS to anyone or shop I choose (Porsche, Carmax (never) or a good indie). So far my now expired OEM warranty and my extended warranty have taken care of most of my reliability issues so my out-of-pocket expenses have been minimal. However, it's the constant in the shop frustration that is/was getting to me. I hope I'm on the downside of that now and can post more favorable feedback in the future.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Wasn't there cylinder scoring problems on the first batch?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

No it was a later

Quick Reply: Current Model Long Term Reliability?