Sponsored by:

Towing with a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
There is a specific Porsche retrofit document the Porsche dealer can access, it is bulletin Group 6, #32/10, dated May 9, 2011, Installation and Conversion Instruction Trailer Hitch (I-nos. 1D6) for Cayenne (92A). This document details everything needed to retrofit a non-factory trailer hitch installation including connecting the trailer module. Once the trailer module is properly connected, the Cayenne will need to be hooked up to the Porsche PIWIS system and re-coded so it is active. Once active it should be just like the factory install. You may also need to purchase a 7 pole RV style trailer socket (vehicle side) and attach it to the trailer hitch ...

In order to make the trailer brakes work, you will need a brake controller. There are many threads on brake controllers in this forum so a search should turn up some info. Most brake controllers will need a wiring harness installed from under the dash area to connect to the brake controller; Porsche provides for a 4 pin socket which the wiring harness plugs into (I believe even if the vehicle was not ordered with factory trailer hitch this socket is installed). Most trailer dealers can manage this installation as it is a simple task but they will need a couple parts to make the harness and connect to the Cayenne. These are VW parts and they are (a) Connector Housing #1J0-972-782
quantity required=1, and (b) Wire/terminal assembly #000-979-228
quantity required=2 (cut in half to make 4 wires). Again you can do some searching on this forum or in a VW Touareg forum to find more details.
Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
Hi,

I am very close to buying a 2012 Cayenne S Demo from dealer (3,000 miles and LOADED!)

Yikes, NO Factory Trailer Hitch !

According to Porsche Ordering Guide - "All Porsche Cayenne Models have trailer-hitch preparation as standard equipment"

I want to be helpful and "Guide" Sales and Service staff on a Dealer/Service Department installation of Trailer Hitch with Electrical Connection (i.e. 7 pin) -- AND -- An electric trailer brake controller at driver's "knee"

I would really appreciate any Part Numbers (for OEM Porsche Trailer Hitch with 7 Pin Socket, etc) -- AND -- Recommendation for Electric Trailer Brake Controller unit -- (I doubt the electric trailer brake controller is a OEM Porsche Part, however I would/could furnish the part to dealer) -- Also, is there/are there any "Harnesses" I need to be aware of?

What kind of "computer programming" does this installation require (to be totally compatible with the Cayenne's ABS/PASM/Air Suspension/Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control/Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus ??)

Finally, in that the dealer is willing to do this as part of the deal, I would rather have them do the entire job rather than taking my New/Demo to a trailer shop -- However, is this job within a Porsche Service Departments' scope of expertise?

Would really appreciate a detailed list of parts and recommendations so that I can get the job done correctly from the Porsche Dealer prior to my delivery

Thanks so much!
I bolded the bulletin needed for hitch install and wiring with Porsche trailer module from my previous post above. This is an inclusive document and your Porsche dealer should reference this specifically. I have experienced a couple Porsche dealers that are not well versed in the trailer hitch / towing side of the Cayenne, so be prepared just in case. More likely, your dealer will know how to manage it. As for brake controllers, I use two. I use a Prodigy RF on my main trailer and I use a Prodigy P3 hard wired underneath the dash when needed for all other trailers that require a brake controller. You can check out the Tekonsha website to learn more about their various types and uses of brake controllers (no affilation, just use their products, but there are many other good ones too).

As already mentioned, there are many threads on brake controllers and wiring them. If you search this forum for "brake controller" you will find a lot of information. You'll just have to wade through it to get the specific stuff you need.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks to all for excellent recommendations

Thanks also to Karl Wilen, Der Sportwagen Technical Editor (AKA Porschedoc from RennsportKC) -- He has published the definitive article on this subject in the KC Region PCA Sept/Oct 2012 Edition of Der Sportwagen (pages 6-8) titled, "Installing an Electronic Trailer Brake Controller"

http://kcrpca.org/SportwagenEditorDo...9-10%20Web.pdf

And, the following....

http://rennsportkc.com/so-easy-a-por...oller-install/

Quick Reply: Towing with a Cayenne