Sponsored by:

2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Romsey
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

I put a deposit on a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S with 89K mileage in the North Jersey and New York City area. The Dealer was asking $27,800 for the car, but we now negotiated to $29500 for the car with 3 year/36 K extended powertrain warranty included (Through Fidelity Warranty Service).

The 3 year warranty separately costs about $4500 and includes coverages for the engine, transmission/transaxle/transfer case (clutch assemblies and all component parts are not covered), drive axle, and additional hybrid/plug-in electric/compressed natural gas components. Does not cover Steering, Brakes, Air Conditioning, Suspension, and Electrical.

Courtesy of Rennlist and thanks to you, i am getting a ppi done. The dealer has also confirmed the following:
1. Tires – just replaced
2. Brakes – just replaced
3. Coolant pipes – checked out
4. Cardan shaft –in good order. Test drove and car was pretty steady and was not all over the place.

5. Rear Hatch Shocks – yet to check
6. Starter - yet to check
7. Torque Converter seal - yet to check
8. New ignition coils - yet to check
9. PWIS Headlight - I read from another 2005 owner that sensors may require adjusting. Is this common?

Questions:
• Is this a reasonable offer for a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S?
• What other items should I look out for?
• Are the extended warranty coverages adequate for this car?

I am moving from a 2008 Range Rover Sport that only required the oil change, brake and tire replacements so I am concerned and doing all due diligence.

Thanks advance for your advice, much appreciated indeed.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

You will get more responses if you post this in the Cayenne forum, rather than the Posting Guidelines forum as you have done.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I'll move it. Thx Randy
Old 08-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Romsey
Cruisin'

Thx. for catching that. Much appreciated.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

what does "coolant pipes - checked out" mean? Have they been converted to the aluminum replacement pipes? or are they saying they presently do not have a leak. Ether way ... make sure you have the metal ones .... or they put them in for you.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not go with the 4500 warranty, I had Fidelity and nothing was covered, Platinum Package. Put the money in a savings account instead
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM
LexLuthor
AutoX

^^ agree.. I think I had Fidelity too.. I had to go to a dealer to diagnose/replace evap purge valve which costs (me) around $300 a few years back.. had a hard time with Fidelity to pay (and/or) reimburse as it they said it wasn't covered.. eventually had to cancel my ext warranty (and that was a PITA to deal with as well).. anyways, keep your money and cross your fingers.. and enjoy the car in good health
Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM
LexLuthor
AutoX

by the way, make sure the coolant pipes had been replaced (if you'd do it proactively, it'll cost about $3500 from a p-car dealer)..

get all documentation/receipts when you can to show services done in the car (maybe if they had the car serviced in dealerships, you can request for the history from them)..

are the brakes new? pads only or new rotors too? did they replace the rotors with the 2-pc? (should be 2-pc, man these rotors are EXPENSIVE to replace)

you will know the hatch is shot when it doesn't hold (up).. that costs me about $700 to replace in the dealership too.. (if you are a DIY'er, you can source the parts and there are videos in youtube on how to do this - I just didn't have time to do it and let the dealer rape me)
Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLuthor
by the way, make sure the coolant pipes had been replaced (if you'd do it proactively, it'll cost about $3500 from a p-car dealer)..

get all documentation/receipts when you can to show services done in the car (maybe if they had the car serviced in dealerships, you can request for the history from them)..

are the brakes new? pads only or new rotors too? did they replace the rotors with the 2-pc? (should be 2-pc, man these rotors are EXPENSIVE to replace)

you will know the hatch is shot when it doesn't hold (up).. that costs me about $700 to replace in the dealership too.. (if you are a DIY'er, you can source the parts and there are videos in youtube on how to do this - I just didn't have time to do it and let the dealer rape me)
Why 2-piece rotors? At the track, at least with non P cars, there is another camp that says use cheap rotors and treat them as the disposables that they are. I did this on 2 BMW's, This has worked well for me. Is there something different with the ceyenne?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:25 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo S has uprated brakes, hardly any third party replacements if any at all
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Records? Condition? Is the seller a Porsche dealer? $27800 sounds very low...why? You're paying a 20% premium for a 3rd party warranty that won't cover most of the likely issues for an 8 yr old car pushing 100K.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
Records? Condition? Is the seller a Porsche dealer? $27800 sounds very low...why? You're paying a 20% premium for a 3rd party warranty that won't cover most of the likely issues for an 8 yr old car pushing 100K.
Price seems right to me. Might even be a little expensive. It is a high mileage example.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Romsey
Cruisin'

Default Introducing to you - my new (used) 2006 CTS

Hi All, thanks for all your feedback and my apologies for being out of the loop. I finally went with the Cayenne Turbo S without the fidelity warranty as advised. I am still in the honeymoon phase and was loving it until i had my first flat tire this week. BTW, I was told Porsche Cayennes don't come with spare tires so i had the Dealer replace one of the existing ones as part of our negotiation which leaves me with a old tire as a spare. Now, i have to find a rim and think i should be all set. Attached two pics, will upload more once i finish unpacking from my vaca.
Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the Turbo S models (early ones and even 2nd gen ones) didn't come with the spare, but you can order it, you did check under the cover in the trunk right?

There are two sizes, small and large, so if you do get one, get the large to cover over the brakes.

Here is a nice little brochure like page an enthusiast wrote up:

http://kenrockwell.com/porsche/cayenne-turbo-s/
Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Romsey
Cruisin'

Default Spare Tire

Hi Tuareg, Yes i did check :-) and i have the tire, but need to get a rim, and will be taking the big brakes into account. Which probably explains y the car does not come with a regular spare.

Quick Reply: 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S