FM Reception / Antenna Amplifier - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM
RadarsRUs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FM Reception / Antenna Amplifier - HELP

HI All,

Just bought a 2009, 6-spd. manual, Cayenne GTS with 53K on it. Everything about this rig is simply awesome (never owned a Porsche before) with the exception of the after-market Stereo / Navigation module's FM Reception.

Previous owner probably spent $5,000.00 or more to have a Kenwood DNX-9980HD with Subwoofer and Two amplifiers installed. Predictably (from what I have read here), however, the FM Radio Reception is now Shot (since new-to-me). I dis-assembled radio installation and found the little antenna-motor "trigger wire" connected to the car's harness which I gather is not sufficient to power the Antenna Amplifier in the rear-spoiler.

Took a "key-on" only 12 V DC feed directly to the White wire in the Car Harness to supply 12 V DC to Antenna Amplifier inside the rear spoiler. I also verified the voltage was present at the Power Wire connection to the antenna amp. up there with key-on with the multi-meter. I am SURE it was NOT getting continual supply voltage from before my wiring change.

10,000 Page CD "Shop-Manual" has no Voltage Value to confirm what should be present that I could find from 1 Hr. hunting through that Dinosaur of a Porsche document. I think that CD Manual kind-of sucks...for several reasons. Is there a more Technically Descriptive one available for 2009 Cayenne models?

Problem is that there is still really terrible FM reception. Any thoughts on the Service-History" of these little Amplifiers in the Spoiler?

I could run an external Mini-Co-Ax cable from the Antenna-Out Port of the Amp through the open interior of the car and remove stereo again to plug-in. Hoping not to, though, as that stereo is definitely 10 lbs. of %$#& in a 5 lb. bag in that location...Big hassle to stuff it & harnesses all gently back in the hole.

Anybody have an idea for a simple FM Antenna Amplifier Test that doesn't involve removing radio from Dash. Furthermore, can anyone confirm if full 12 V DC (car battery) is correct value to feed the little amplifier's red-wire (+) up in the wing?

ALSO: Rear-Spoiler on 2009 is DIFFERENT than instructions for 2008 and earlier. There are 2 Screws into Fiberglass that join the Top & Bottom halves located in the lowest left and right beam-tips that contact the car-body. I went with the 3 Torx screws only hidden above the opened-glass area (behind plugs) and ended up prying these two infernal screws out of the material. No-Biggie, all went back together fine with zero evidence of damaged fastening points for top-bottom shells. With way is now should be fine for speeds much faster than this thing will ever see.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow

I think this question may be better suited to 6speedonline where third party mods are done more than here

On the subject of the spoiler, don't forget you need a near perfect seal to keep the water out or you will fry a lot of stuff back there
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
RadarsRUs
Track Day

Any Technicians present who can at least verify that the Right-Hand FM Antenna Amp in Spoiler is supposed to receive a full 12V DC on it's power-lead?.. This alone would be a big help gent's, Please

Thanks as always, Steve Delany

2009 Pepper, GTS with 6 Spd. manual. Sound and Navigation through a Kenwood 9980HD.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
RadarsRUs
Track Day

Default ANSWER to My Own Question...

When using a REPLACEMENT Kenwood-9980HD Radio for the Cayenne's factory unit with mapping the Music Tuner's Signal Went to Crap and would NOT clean-up after checking Everything in the chain!

For those interested you WILL NEED THIS...

G95564730100, ANTENNA BOOSTER "HF", $103.75 from Auto-Atlanta.

This is a DIFFERENT AM/FM Antenna Booster from the one factory installed that actually has an "HF" designation at the port where you plug the antenna cable going back to the Radio Display.

Unfortunately, nobody here (or on 6-Speedonline) was able to assist for a number of weeks. I found this a little discouraging given the level of experience present in these two forums.

I decided to rolled the dice and came-up Box Cars! As soon as this new "HF" amp was installed in the right-hand corner of the Spoiler the Tuner in the new Kenwood came to life with great selection, clear music and all of the Data-String of Artist, Song, Etc. showing up on the display.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 PM
crs051767
Intermediate

Hi. I have a similar situation: I just purchased a 2008 Cayenne v6 which came with the base CR-23 (non-Bose) system. The reception is just terrible. Since this is my first Cayenne, what should I look at? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM
pancholi
Advanced

i have the standard CTT PCM and poor FM reception.
should i be looking at replacing the FM amp?
cheers
Old 09-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

My 2004 CS has always had terrible FM reception with the OE Bose system.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:34 AM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarsRUs
When using a REPLACEMENT Kenwood-9980HD Radio for the Cayenne's factory unit with mapping the Music Tuner's Signal Went to Crap and would NOT clean-up after checking Everything in the chain!

For those interested you WILL NEED THIS...

G95564730100, ANTENNA BOOSTER "HF", $103.75 from Auto-Atlanta.

This is a DIFFERENT AM/FM Antenna Booster from the one factory installed that actually has an "HF" designation at the port where you plug the antenna cable going back to the Radio Display.

Unfortunately, nobody here (or on 6-Speedonline) was able to assist for a number of weeks. I found this a little discouraging given the level of experience present in these two forums.

I decided to rolled the dice and came-up Box Cars! As soon as this new "HF" amp was installed in the right-hand corner of the Spoiler the Tuner in the new Kenwood came to life with great selection, clear music and all of the Data-String of Artist, Song, Etc. showing up on the display.
Thanks for this,,, I can confirm that this worked perfectly on my 2009 Cayenne with Pioneer Touchscreen head unit. FM Reception is now perfect!!
Old 11-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Mark Fraser
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the single spoiler amp in my 08 Cayenne. I suspect the original stuff had been cannibalized along with the rest of the Bose stuff. There was a 6-inch wire acting as an antenna, that's it. Obviously, AM and FM reception were terrible. I was able to test the amp, discovering that it has about 10dB gain on FM, which is my main concern. That should be ok, but I'll need a better antenna "wire". When the weather gets better I'll see if any of the original connections to glass-mounted items are present.
I also bought a set of dual-amp modules, to test gain and the diversity functions. Unfortunately, a lot of spurious noise, so into the junk bin.
Any recommendations on "good" sharkfin or other antenna ideas? thanks

Quick Reply: FM Reception / Antenna Amplifier - HELP