Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Not meaning to sound like I am piling on, but with the cost of repairs these days being soo high, this is one more example why an extended warranty is almost a requirement. Or, not owning a car outside of the warranty period.
Nonsense.
Larry's 04 Cayenne S is without warranty and hasn't cost a dime in repairs in many many years. I can personally testify to that fact.

Don't you read JDPowers for quality rankings?
How dare you insult the mechanical design integrity of the greatest SUV ever to set hooves...sorry, foot....on the planet.

Anything that goes wrong with a Caenne is due to owner mistakes, abuse, incorrect maintenance...not the Cayenne.

Now if you'll excuse me, ths thread has convinced me to rush to my local Porsche dealer and buy another Cayenne.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There looks like a lot of corrosion on the frame rails, this may have been leaking for a long time?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Diablo99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update from the Tech

Gents,

The car is in the shop and I just a preliminary update from the Tech. He reckons that the leaks (ATF and engine oil) are coming from the respective coolers sitting behind the radiator. In order to get to them, he has to remove the front bumper. That got me thinking about 2 things...

1. The front and rear bumpers were removed a couple of weeks ago for painting. The car did not leak before that, so am wondering if they could have damaged something in the process. Anythoughts on this?

2. Is there any other maintenance item that is worth taking care of while the bumper is off, e.g. serpentine belt?

Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:55 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo99
Gents,

The car is in the shop and I just a preliminary update from the Tech. He reckons that the leaks (ATF and engine oil) are coming from the respective coolers sitting behind the radiator. In order to get to them, he has to remove the front bumper. That got me thinking about 2 things...

1. The front and rear bumpers were removed a couple of weeks ago for painting. The car did not leak before that, so am wondering if they could have damaged something in the process. Anythoughts on this?

2. Is there any other maintenance item that is worth taking care of while the bumper is off, e.g. serpentine belt?

Thanks again.
Very possible. Or, someone could have bumped into your car's front at a parking lot. But the paint shop is looking more like the probable cause of the leak(s). If there was damage to the bumper (from a parking lot interface), I would think the body shop would have told you, as that would be more work for them.

If there is a way to prove the bumper was installed incorrectly, that will go a long way toward having the paint shop pick up the cost of the repairs.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Diablo99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fixed!

Gents,

Just to close the loop on this one: It was indeeo the ATF cooler that was leaking. The ATF was leaking down the front of the rad and the cooling fans were sucking it through and it was creating that horrible mess under the car.

We tried to have it repaired, but this did not work. So I had to have a new cooler and new pipework, as Porsche had updated the fixings on the cooler from a threaded fitting to a push type fitting. All in all, it came to the equivalent of a $1000.

In tkaing off the front bumper, we founf enough evidence to suggest that the paint shop had not removed the bumper for painting, as they had cgarged for. That is a fight for another day...

Quick Reply: Unknow fluid leak???