Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q regarding Diesel engine longevity in the U.S.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The silver jug is great, three seasons of the year. But if you experience winter temperatures below 20F, you should temporarily switch to the white jug until the threat of fuel gelling passes. It's the same as the stuff in the silver jug, but contains an anti-gel additive. Another tip; save the empty containers. It only takes about 12 ounces per 26 gallon tank. I re-use my 16 ouncers to contain a pre-measured one-tank dose. the 16 ouncer fits nicely alongside the spare in the wheel well. You might consider re-using a few of your empties to contain two pre-measured doses.

//greg//
Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Been driving diesels since 1985, and have never seen a pump in America that identified the cetane rating.
Except BP all the stations I've gone to so far both locally (DC area) and my trip back and forth to FL have the cetane rating posted. All I have found so far is 40 though.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
I'm convinced -- just ordered a case of the product (Power Service -- Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost) from Amazon -- QTY 12 -- 32oz -- good for 1200 gallons total or 30Kmi+ -- $77USD delivered. Here's a link to the Power Service web site that I found helpful: http://www.powerservice.com/faq/

Here's another thought. If one uses this additive, does it bring fuel quality up to European standards? And would it be prudent to extend oil changes beyond the recommended 5Kmi interval?
Fuel quality with PS added will be close to Euro spec, but it depends on what you are starting out with. Valero + PS will be at the low end of the spec. Chevron + PS will be at the higher end of the spec.

Oil change intervals are a function of what happens to the oil once it is in your engine. During the warranty period, I would go with whatever the manufacturer says (both oil and interval). Once the warranty is over, I would send a sample of the oil off to a lab for analysis (be sure to get a test for Total Base Number -TBN). Depending on what comes back from the lab, then you could make some informed decisions. For example, if TBN on a 5,000 mile sample was 3+ and there was no fuel contamination, and viscosity was within spec, then I would try stretching the interval out another 2,500 miles and see what happens to the next sample's results.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:23 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I try to time my fill-ups to hit area Shell stations, their D2 has a 46 rating. When traveling outside my local area, I refer to this list. I also carry Power Service next to the spare tire, for use in those occasions when 46 or higher is not conveniently available.

//greg//
The list is an interesting one. My experience with some of the vendors has varied. For example, Sunoco/76 stations in the S.F. Bay Area seem to be getting their D2 from Chevron (Cetane has tested out at 44 to 46). Also, Shell in the S.F. Bay Area has reliably tested out at 44. How they manage that when they seem to be getting their D2 from Chevron is beyond me (how do they drop the cetane to 44 if the batch of D2 they receive tests at 46?).

Thanks for posting the list.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're welcome, but I can't take credit personally. It was originally posted over at myturbodiesel.com. I don't take all the numbers as gospel, but it serves as a handy general reference when traveling out of my own area.

//greg//

Quick Reply: Q regarding Diesel engine longevity in the U.S.....