Sponsored by:

Porsche owner since '80's - Cayenne owner since 6/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Porsche owner since '80's - Cayenne owner since 6/13

Hey folks - I've had several 911's, 944's and a 914. I just bought my first Cayenne - an '08 S. I've been doing some reading and I'm not sure I've seen an answer to my question. The Cayenne has a new Porsche battery - installed by the dealer when I bought the car because it would sometime turn over slow or sometimes not turn over the first time you turn the key. Dealer said the battery had a bad cell, replaced the battery and off I drove. Unfortunately, the problem persist.
It starts better the first time of the day, but if I run errands and stop several times it seems to get worse and finally I turn the key and get about 1/4 turn of the engine before the engine stops turning over - like a dead battery. Turn the key back and try again and she turns over slowly - but starts (for now).

My old school experience tells me bad spot on the starter or a corrosion build up on a battery cable creating a bad ground or contact that is aggravated by heat or some failure of one or more of the complex systems in the car that will send me into the arms of a dealer mechanic for money bear hug.

Any help for a Cayenne Newbie? Thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like it might well be a bad connection somewhere with electrical resistance increasing with increased temperature.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 PM
HabitualViolator
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm having the same condition. the prepurchase inspection indicated a near dead battery. dealer replaced battery. cranking power began to weaken the next day. first crank of the day might have been weak, but the send or third was worse. amp meter shows charging status. returned to dealer to replace battery. they said there was likely parasitic drain on the battery so they wanted it another day to find the where the drain was coming from. I'm being told that the starter is bad. i think i believe them as i've had 2 cars that would be slow to crank as they got hot. seems the solenoid was going bad, and not the battery. i should get the PIG back tomorrow so i'll let you know.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe the alternator? I started hearing some weird noise from the engine bay, and it was the alternator. The damn thing is water cooled and a PITA to change.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my new to me CTT had a problem with starting issues. i have the full history and i see multiple trips to take care of it. battery, starter, wiring diagnosis, wiring replacement. its been a couple years
Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Maybe the alternator? I started hearing some weird noise from the engine bay, and it was the alternator. The damn thing is water cooled and a PITA to change.
Obsessed with your plumbing you are
Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar issue on my mercedes...was crank pisition sensor, but not sure on Porsche.
PL

Quick Reply: Porsche owner since '80's - Cayenne owner since 6/13