Sponsored by:

Smells like coolant. No Leaks!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Michael DeRoma
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smells like coolant. No Leaks!!

Hello all. I have a 2004 CS with 130 KMs. I've had the coolant pipes changed as well as the waterpump. When the truck gets warm enough, it starts to smell like coolant. The temp guage will go past the middle a bit then the fan comes on and it goes to the middle again. It will do this every 2 minutes in traffic. I'v e had the car checked for leaks from above and underneath and my tech could not find any leaks at all. Bone dry. A friend told me it could be a head gasket.leak. He also mentioned my oil smelled of gasoline and that my truck ran rich. Not sure if there is any connection.
Regardless, I'm at a loss and looking for opinions I can take to another technician in toronto. I appreciate your feedback in advance.
Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did the tech pressure-test the cooling system? It could be residual coolant from the pipe change burning off when it gets warm.
When was the last time you had your oil changed? Oil will begin to smell like gas if you go a while between oil changes, as it's natural for excess fuel in the crankcase to saturate the oil. This especially happens on cold starts.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, every morning when the coolant is COLD before first startup, check the coolant level in the reservoir.

If the level is going down from one day to the next, then you have a leak. Regardless of what you see up top or underneath.

Just don't open the thing hot or even warm.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Michael DeRoma
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input and the advice guys. I will get on those suggestions soon.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 PM
e90076
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Any findings? My car tends to smell after driving a bit. An almost motor oil-like smell on the drivers side outside of the vehicle and under the hood.

Quick Reply: Smells like coolant. No Leaks!!