new s diesel after first 1000km

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Solstice
The CDS also have the full blown Porsche AWD system and not the Audi sourced Torsen diff system of the CD. The CDS is quite a machine for sure.
And if they bring it here I will buy one!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Joe,

Glad yours finally arrived --must go fast with that big engine. As you know, I have the same color combo as you, and I really like it -- more than I did initially -- may grow on you as time goes by. After I read you review, I went into the garage to check out the yellow content of the beige. As I recall, when the first generation of Cayennes were introduced, the beige was very yellow, this one not as much. That said, if I were the colorist, I'd add more brown, but you got to work with what's order able at a reasonable price, and I think our color combos work -- gives the vehicle a sportier look -- brighter look than the black interior, although a bit more maintenance to keep looking good. Obviously, this was an expensive purchase, that usually comes with some post assessment -- would I have changed this or that, or was my thinking sound? Your thinking was sound -- enjoy it. Just remember to keep a pair of polarized sunglasses in the center console.

That LCA is really nice -- I always look around anyway, but when my friend on the left is with me in a crate on back seat, I can't always see that blind spot -- LCA is particularly useful on those occasions -- wouldn't buy a vehicle in the future w/o it.

Regards,
Phil
Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 PM
DTMT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excellent

Such an amazing vehicle. Why would anyone buy a V6 or V8 after driving that?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Solstice
AutoX

I agree that these new diesels are fantastic and I get all the advantages, pretty much all my family and friends back in Europe drives diesels and so do I when I visit them. I understand the excitement they bring over here as well but for me personally I'll continue driving gassers as long as they make them except for if I'm shopping for a large utilitarian vehicle like a Land Cruiser or say a Ford Raptor where I would definately choose a diesel if available. It's like AWD and RWD, no right, wrong or "best" just preferences. What is the relative price of the CDS in the range, between the GTS and CTT?

Never mind I looked at the Swedish Porsche site and the CDS price is almost identical to the CS with the GTS being significantly more and the Turbo way more with the Turbo S being close two 2x CDS. That changes things, if the CDS comes here and is priced equal to the CS I would probably go for the CDS, it seems like a really good value. Or maybe not, at a closer look I see that PDCC is not available on the CDS just like the CD, now that is a surprise.

Last edited by Solstice; 06-03-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Kudos for your purchase Joseph O'Reilly,
I'm highly convinced that you got the real best of the line.
We have a 06 Cayenne S ("Titanium Edition", something that did not existed in Europe !) new since Feb 07, and has now a bit more than 100'000 miles. This is the best SUV that we ever had (after 5 Range Rover and 2 Grand Cherokee). I wish, (and strongly) hope that P will change it's mind, and bring the model you have in the USA, ..waiting for it. Imo the torque is king with an SUV, ..particularly, when you also tow.
For the options, (I think it is "secondary", ..and very personal) I'm a big fan of the air suspension, so, I will go for that, it is so nice to have the car always well horizontal, when you are towing.
I agree that the difference between "Comfort" and "Sport" are not as big as I would hope for, but still, we run most of our time in comfort mode. I can also mention that I also back-up to connect the trailer with the susp in "loading" mode (very low), and when right under the hitch, I switch to top high, ..so, I do not have to level the trailer "by hand" to connect ! Or, when crossing some bridges that have high side wall, I switch from low to high, ..to have the view in the water (i.e.: doing that all the time crossing the "Bay bridge, between San Francisco and Oakland !) ..well, beside the comfort, some fun with the air susp !
Back on the V8 burning oil, I suppose the torque should be super great. I have a good friend that has the sistership from the mother company with a V10, and this is terrific. I got the impression that it accelerate like if the car would weight ..like a feather ! The torque of a Diesel on a SUV is great to hide the weight of the car, making it perfect for such a car.
The big question remain : when P will bring this mode in the US market ?
(Funny to observe that at the mother company current US product line, no more V8, no more V10, and never W12 ! (Ah, just to mention for the ones that do not like the VW V6, ..the W12 is nothing else than ..two of them glued together ! ..And this is also what you "find" in the Bentley Conti GT, ..with two turbos !!)
great stuff. i know the v8 diesel specs look amazing on paper, and it is a fantastic motor for the cayenne, but it was really only on the autobahn when i was already going 70mph+ and wanted to accelerate where the v6d seemed to need more power. otherwise i liked it a lot too. other than in a few places in the world, such as germany, are you really going to need to go from 75 to 120mph in a jiffy with your suv that often? plus, considering the likelihood of a significant power boost to the v6d accompanying next year's face lift, that may quiet the calls for the v8.
the air suspension does what it says on the tin, and makes lots of sense for towing, offloading, or just on potholed roads. i am a fan, but just thought i could get away without it, and the salesman concurred. you mention the Bentley gt, which i drove a couple times last month. i am pretty sure it has air suspension without height settings, and the bentley suspension really does smother all the but the worst bumps in the road.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by philg3
Joe,

Glad yours finally arrived --must go fast with that big engine. As you know, I have the same color combo as you, and I really like it -- more than I did initially -- may grow on you as time goes by. After I read you review, I went into the garage to check out the yellow content of the beige. As I recall, when the first generation of Cayennes were introduced, the beige was very yellow, this one not as much. That said, if I were the colorist, I'd add more brown, but you got to work with what's order able at a reasonable price, and I think our color combos work -- gives the vehicle a sportier look -- brighter look than the black interior, although a bit more maintenance to keep looking good. Obviously, this was an expensive purchase, that usually comes with some post assessment -- would I have changed this or that, or was my thinking sound? Your thinking was sound -- enjoy it. Just remember to keep a pair of polarized sunglasses in the center console.

That LCA is really nice -- I always look around anyway, but when my friend on the left is with me in a crate on back seat, I can't always see that blind spot -- LCA is particularly useful on those occasions -- wouldn't buy a vehicle in the future w/o it.

Regards,
Phil
Thanks Phil, will certainly do. And i cant thank you enough for the polarized sunglasses tip. like you said, porsche should include a pair gratis when you spec the beige. usually the reflection off the light dashboard doesn't bother me, even in bright sunlight, but it can at times be dangerous without polarized sunglasses, for example when going from sun into shadows or when entering a dark parking garage or tunnel. i am enjoying the beige color and have no regrets other than germany not having less mud and more sun!

On LCA, it is one of those things that only has to be useful once to justify having it, because it can save you from a wreck. I hate to admit it, but the newly available lane departure warning would have come in handy yesterday too when i got too distracted by the navigation system, but that was just driver error.

regarding electronics, i have followed instructions to program the garage door openers, and the turn signal lights flashed three times at the end of the last programming step indicating that the signal has been learned, but it still doesnt work. anyone have the slightest clue about what i am trying to describe and any suggestions on what to do?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solstice
I agree that these new diesels are fantastic and I get all the advantages, pretty much all my family and friends back in Europe drives diesels and so do I when I visit them. I understand the excitement they bring over here as well but for me personally I'll continue driving gassers as long as they make them except for if I'm shopping for a large utilitarian vehicle like a Land Cruiser or say a Ford Raptor where I would definately choose a diesel if available. It's like AWD and RWD, no right, wrong or "best" just preferences. What is the relative price of the CDS in the range, between the GTS and CTT?

Never mind I looked at the Swedish Porsche site and the CDS price is almost identical to the CS with the GTS being significantly more and the Turbo way more with the Turbo S being close two 2x CDS. That changes things, if the CDS comes here and is priced equal to the CS I would probably go for the CDS, it seems like a really good value. Or maybe not, at a closer look I see that PDCC is not available on the CDS just like the CD, now that is a surprise.
i looked at the gts too. it comes with a lot more standard equipment than the cds. and indeed, if you option a cds and gts equivalently, the cds actually costs a bit more. or you can get if for 10% under the gts if you leave out full leather, bigger wheels, xenon lights, pasm, etc etc. but the way most people spec their cayennes here, the cds and gts cost the same. (as mentioned i forgot to ask at the factory why no pdcc on the cds.) but i went for the cds because of the engine, the more comfortable ride, and because it will hold its value much better. i even preferred the sound of the cds, which may sound crazy since the gts sounds so great, but they really got the cds motor to sound like a petrol muscle car and the gts is (at least subjectively) pretty loud inside.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yrs, and my point is that even with NO suspension enhancements, a Cayenne is still much better at driving than a Touareg.
And having traded a 2011 Touareg TDI for a 2013 Cayenne Diesel, I'll add a big HELLYEAH. Despite a common platform, Porsche greatly improved ride, handling, and performance. Both have steel suspensions, both have Servotronic, both have the V6 turbo-diesel. Yet the Cayenne Diesel driving experience completely outclasses that of the 3rd generation Touareg TDI.

The Cayenne Diesel S can only improve upon that experience.

//greg//
Old 06-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 98 Posts

RE: H&R Springs for CD

Talked to H&R today, no springs for the CD yet but was told to call
back end of summer to see if they are available.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Really? I would have figured there were the same that the VR6 and V8 use.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Really? I would have figured there were the same that the VR6 and V8 use.
Diesel weighs about 300 lbs more than VR6. Blame the iron block and the emissions gear.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

"regarding electronics, i have followed instructions to program the garage door openers, and the turn signal lights flashed three times at the end of the last programming step indicating that the signal has been learned, but it still doesnt work. anyone have the slightest clue about what i am trying to describe and any suggestions on what to do?"

My experience on this is based upon US garage door openers / frequency, Europe may be different. Most recent production openers have roving frequencies (changes every time you open the door, and sync's with your clicker). This security feature complicates the set-up to get it programmed properly, and requires a two step process -- first with the clicker -- with the front lights flashing, then you need to push the programming button on the opener (get a step stool), and the appropriate button on the Cayenne. I was able to do my primary house successfully, but gave up on my vacation home for now after working on it for about 15 minutes. I think it's a two person job -- one person pushing the button on the opener, and the other on the Cayenne -- at the same time -- after you've done the initial sync with the clicker. I'll try again when my wife comes up with me, and she has the patience. My friend on the left was no help. The manual describes the two step process, but not that clearly.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 AM
gjmattos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grohgreg
And having traded a 2011 Touareg TDI for a 2013 Cayenne Diesel, I'll add a big HELLYEAH. Despite a common platform, Porsche greatly improved ride, handling, and performance. Both have steel suspensions, both have Servotronic, both have the V6 turbo-diesel. Yet the Cayenne Diesel driving experience completely outclasses that of the 3rd generation Touareg TDI.

The Cayenne Diesel S can only improve upon that experience.

//greg//
I also have a CD and a X5d, the BMW board folks talk a lot about how crazy it is to choose Porsche diesel over the Touareg with the price difference. Since you had one is there a big difference other then what you have gone over in this post?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well - I'm trying my best not to hijack Joseph's topic - but if improved ride/handling/performance/prestige aren't enough for you, consider the boatload of options available to the Porsche buyer that the VW buyer can only wish for
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Well - I'm trying my best not to hijack Joseph's topic - but if improved ride/handling/performance/prestige aren't enough for you, consider the boatload of options available to the Porsche buyer that the VW buyer can only wish for
Greg, this is true and I will be making the switch myself, too, but likely with a very low mileage one. Thing is, the Touareg is a fantastic ride and a supreme value.

Quick Reply: new s diesel after first 1000km