Sponsored by:

Anyone have their front wipers lock up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have their front wipers lock up?

This just started happening and of course we have rain for the next several days.

The wipers turn on okay and make it about 1/8th of the way across the window then get stuck. They try to go on but can't do it. They are working in sync but just can't complete a cycle.

They were fine and I took it in for a detail. I believe they put new blades on it. At first I thought they put the wrong size blade on it the motor didn't have enough juice but they are the same size as the drivers side blade.

I took the blades off the windscreen to see it they worked with not resistance and got the same result.

Any ideas out there?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Squirt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The timing with the detail may be a coincidence. On two different Audis I've owned, I've had a similar issue. At the time I lived in Minneapolis, and it seems the sloppy, salty road slush would make its way down the shafts of one of the wipers, and cause corrosion, eventually leading to the wipers malfunctioning. The solution was to disassemble the wiper transmission, clean the wiper shafts and bushings with steel wool, grease, and reassemble.

I haven't heard of this issue on the Cayenne, but thought I'd share my experience in case you didn't get much response.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Squirt. I'll pull the blades and see what I find down there. I've got a small gear puller and still can't get them off so maybe that is a sign of the corrosion that is causing the problem. Going to hit them with penetrating oil tonight and see if I can get in there tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had it on my 06 S
Turned out it was the wiper motor that failed
Covered under warrantee
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a mechanic leave a wrench in the tray of mine.

Quick Reply: Anyone have their front wipers lock up?