Sponsored by:

Tail Light Pinouts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Tail Light Pinouts!

Not having any success with search yesterday. Do any of you have a schematic or pinout id for 05 S piggy...? Much appreciated!

On another note, are the 12VDC left or right side recepts in the trunk area a good source of voltage?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:04 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dgetz993
Not having any success with search yesterday. Do any of you have a schematic or pinout id for 05 S piggy...? Much appreciated!

On another note, are the 12VDC left or right side recepts in the trunk area a good source of voltage?
Is this for a hitch? I am pretty sure if you look on etrailer.com they have it. If not I am sure a google search will turn it up? Also thought if you pull the light array off the back, the wires can be traced back to the socket visually.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Is this for a hitch? I am pretty sure if you look on etrailer.com they have it. If not I am sure a google search will turn it up? Also thought if you pull the light array off the back, the wires can be traced back to the socket visually.
Yup and thanks for the reference, video was informative. Still would like the color code for the tail light pinout....
Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Not trying to sway you too hard but from my research to throw a hitch on the Touareg, I found that all the same parts work on the cayenne and was super easy to install, just needed to vag-com the module to turn it on (Durametric or Dealer should be able to do it)

Trick was to find the hitch local, as no one wants to ship the beast. Also on the touareg I didn't have to cut the bumper, panel removed, Cayennes I think you have to trim.

I spent about $190 or so to get everything I needed OEM used and you get the bonus of 7700 towing capacity and 770lbs hitch weight plus alarm integration and easier electric brake integration etc with the can-bus and not errors on the MFD (well they do have issues with LED lights but lots of workarounds) And no wire cutting. My car had the fuse in the appropriate block which I thought was strange as I got it new.

After it being so easy, I looked on ebay for the cayenne module and confirmed the subpart is exactly the same as the Touareg (made by westfalia, so is the hitch) one for the hitch control module via pictures.

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=7...at=0&_from=R40 in Germany, but older modules.

US seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Porsche...46fcab&vxp=mtr

You could also try to get the OEM harness and this polk plug, which dealer wants like 80 bucks for but is exactly the same thing:
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...FWhjTAodWUMOfA

Then use a curt hitch or whatever.

I picked up a used G unit for 70 euros plus shipping from ebay 7L0907383G, 14MM bolts from Suncoast, and my used hitch has the wiring harness. The install for torquing bolts and pattern to tighten are the same as the cayenne, I have a PDF somewhere. In fact I think the touareg directions have a picture of a cayenne as the graphic showing how to remove the tail lamps etc. I was also able to reach up by the CD changer and install the module without removing the side panel, which is a pain.

I could not find the difference between the G L and N units, however I found this "recall" to replace older E models with G version since the older ones can not be flashed with newer firmware. It is dated 9/12/2005. I would have like to have the N but paying $300 to $400 didn't seem worth it.

What it appears to be is the older ones can not be flashed, and the G L N ones can, I suspect the software on the N is just the latest G version.

--------------------------
Effective immediately, when you are installing trailer hitch kit #7L0092101U, please inspect the control module that is included in the kit. If the part number 7L0907383E appears on the control module, you need to order in a new replacement control unit 7L0907383G with hardware code (HW54) and Software (SW08. The newer index “G” part number does not require flashing.

The reason for this requirement is that With the Base CD 7.01(or higher) level for the 5051 the flashing of the control module in accordance with TB Group:01 Number: 05 -12 Date July 27. 2005 is no longer possible.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Pinouts!