Sponsored by:

Shifter gaiter problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Rickyuk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter gaiter problem

I have had the black plastic shifter cover break loose on my 2004 S. it is when the car is in gear that I can see all of the mechanism. When in park the cover is connected. It looks like the cover rolls into a "cover" under the aluminum top case. So it looks like I will have to remove the shifter. Complete top tray and whatever lurks underneath to find out what is broken. Anyone else had this issue???
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Never had the problem of the rubber shield moving out of the track, but taking off the shifter gate to fix the mechanism is pretty straightforward.

Take off the top of the center console, two 3mm hex near the arm rest, be careful to not lose the little plastic spacers that are under the hex bolts you just removed. Pull up the console, disconnect the wire harness for the diff control / PASM unit and remove.

The shift gate surround is held in with tabs. Use a small screwdriver and help each of the tabs off of the mount. Work slowly and it will come off. Not sure if you'll need to take the **** off, I don't think you will. If you do, put the shifter in 'D' and pull straight up, just don't knock yourself out! When putting the **** back on, you will need to pry the release lever (the one you press to move the lever) out with a small screwdriver as you put the **** back on.

Once you have the shift gate off, the roller cover is attached under the black plastic cover that has the LEDs on it. There are four tabs you will need to release to take the black plastic part off. There is a small wire harness under this piece connecting the LEDs (this is the PRND light harness).

You should have the shift gate in your hands in about 10 mins. It's really not difficult, just be patient with the clips!

I had to take all of the mechanisms off because the whole shift gate was banged up by the previous owner. She wore lots of rings and dented and dinged the aluminum cover badly. Plus, she spilled a ton of cola, coffee, donut sprinkles down in the center console... Yuck! I had my son help me clean up the mess. Now he knows why I don not let anyone eat or drink in the car.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Rickyuk
Intermediate

Thank you Travis for your detailed description of removing the shifter assembly. It was hard to describe the issue but you completely understood what I am dealing with.
Thanks again
Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Rickyuk
Intermediate

Job done..... The reason the gaiter broke was because a penny had become lodged in the runner roller. That caused the gaiter to jam and subsequently when the previous owner pushed the shifter into park it broke..... Managed to get a new assembly from e bay.
Thanks for your help Travis
Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Great to hear it wasn't too bad. Yeah, got my new shift gate from eBay as well.

Cheers,

Travis
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Rickyuk
Intermediate

Well the next problem is an electrical issue. I posted recently regarding the steering wheel rake angle motor failure. As there are 3 fuse boxes I haven't a clue where to start looking for the fuse or the associated relay. HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Shifter gaiter problem