Sponsored by:

Tire pressure-Part or Full Load

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 PM
gjmattos
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure-Part or Full Load

The wife said the ride was a little firm even in comfort mode so I did some research and found the two options for tire pressure, She will not be going over 100 MPH so I switched it to partial load instead of full load. If we decide to tow I will go back to full load. Is there any reason not to do this except holding off on the aggressive driving, which she is not known for?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:04 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The two conditions shown in the illustration can be viewed as partial and full loads in terms of tyre pressure settings. Intermediate conditions can be serviced by selecting tyre pressures between partial and full settings. If you do not have a high vertical load on the tow hitch then you do not need to run full load tyre pressures.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Unless I'm hauling lots of people or stuff, I use partial load pressures. I suspect using full load pressures all of the time might cause premature wear in the center of the tread.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 AM
digitaljok
Advanced

Premature tire wear in the middle of the tread is exactly what happens. The dealer thought they were doing me a favor by checking my tire pressures every time, but they automatically go for the full load pressure without ever asking. After I caught on to the wear issue, and asked them for partial load, they still messed up one time. Expensive lesson learned, don't set to full load unless you're really hauling a lot!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
gjmattos
Intermediate

I checked my manual and it has (on 18" all season tires) Partial Load = < 575 lbs. and Full Load = > 575 lbs. While it would be nice to have a smooth ride I also need to be reasonable not to paint myself in a box. Have to put more thought into this I suppose.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure-Part or Full Load