Sponsored by:

pre purchase inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 AM
67bmer
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default pre purchase inspection question

looking at buying a used Cayenne out of state. Can not find the one I want locally.

there are 4 porsche dealers in the vicinity based on the porsche usa website finda a dealer.
they want
$249
$350
$365
$405!!!

my local dealer in the mid atlantic would charge $199.

The seller recommended the $365 or an independent. so i decided to check around... i know there is a lot of variation amongst the BMW dealers.

apparently it takes 2-3 hours... at $405/2 hours is more than rocket scientists get paid per hour! And they wont confirm the coolant pipes are original or replaced.

seriously, is there a difference?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 AM
gjmattos
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a tough one but great idea to get it done. First I think I would go with a Porsche dealer. Maybe wrong thinking this way and could have just as many say go the other way but Porsche dealers do CPO inspections and add a warranty to back it up. So seems they are more then qualified to do pre-inspections. Maybe you can search BBB, Angie's list, Yelp for reviews. Nothing wrong with indy's at all but how do you know if you found the right one. Do they all perform the same checklist and can they e-mail a copy to you? Tough when you are not from that area. Also post the location and folks here from that area may be of some help.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are going to have it inspected, I'd take it to a "P" Dealer as they are most familiar with the vehicle, know what to look for, and are motivated to find stuff -- for potential repair work. You really need to know the coolant pipe situation, to avoid a $2K bill, and / or a breakdown when you least want it.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:30 PM
67bmer
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In Chicago

$249 - Motor Werks Porsche
$350 - Porsche exchange
$365 - Loeber Motors or Napleton Porsche of Westmont
$405 - Napleton Porsche of Westmont or Loeber Motors
Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

While I assumed the same perspective that the dealer is the best option, I had a poor experience having a PPI done there.

It appears the tech rushed through their general multi point inspection and called it good. It's the same quickie inspection they would do when you bring in your car for an oil change. They clearly did not spend a full two hours on an inspection.

No coolant pipe check either and the bill was $350 here in Nor Cal.

I had my 993 PPI done by an independent and it was far more thorough so that's the way I will head the next time the hunt finds another interesting one.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rather than comparing costs, call or visit each of the places and get your own comfort feeling who will do the better PPI, what they will check, and provide you feedback for negotiation/discussion with the seller. Much depends on the techs experience who is doing the PPI, not necessarily the dealer or independent Porsche has a standard checklist, but determining on the history of the Cayenne, you may want them to do much more. I had a complete PPI done on a 911, and it cost nearly 500, and it was worth every penny.

Good luck.

Last edited by amfp; 04-08-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: pre purchase inspection question