Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overall Reliability of Cayenne

Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 AM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - engine hadn't been run in days I'm assuming.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No smoke on start up after sitting for 5 days at a time.

Stats: 151K '04 CS
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 AM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Thank you! That is helpful.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Engines burn things, burning things smoke. How much and what is what we really need to know. Condensation and/or water in the tailpipe from frequent dealer washing can cause some form of smoking.

Fuel enrichment on start up.

Oil is supposed to get into the top part of the cyl somehow so it will naturally burn some. Different oils will probably produce different results.

Here is a page from the owners manual on the topic of consumption.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 AM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Right you are. But for instance blue smoke, white smoke or black smoke are all indicative of specific problems usually. If the ring is shot, oil passes and burns.....there's a dozen problems it could be I suppose. I've decided for peace of mind to have the dealer order a compression test.....if it passes with flying colors, I buy the Cayenne S...if not...I'll keep looking I suppose. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 AM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Bought my 2008 Cayenne S - Carmona Red Metallic with Sand Beige interior.

Love it! Like brand new inside and out. Going to do my 1st oil change next weekend.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Cuba
Instructor

Cayennes burn oil, especially on long trips. Keep some in the trunk and don't worry about it. My turbo is a thirsty beast I go through plenty of oil and it's fine, I'm actually getting 20mpg highway and smooth sailing. Last time I filled up on a weekend trip my range said 580 miles and stayed their for quite a while.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

I was just told that by a Napleton Porsche dealer too....sometimes I see some smoke sometimes I don't. I am SO glad I went with the V8 instead of the V6. Well worth it! I'll try out the Tiptronic transmission tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
You should be fine. Porsche is into the fourth year of the current gen. The engine has been used in the Touareg since 2009. I had my AdBlue pump replaced at 1100 miles in TDI, which was a known issue. Congrats!
Two Adblue pumps replaced in my Touareg, It looks like they will last maybe 20-30k miles. Expensive part too. And if it is not this part their is the calabration $ that the dealler will hit you with, just to keep the engine light off.
You will be fine alright. Just keep you check book handy.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your troubles. I've had no issues since. I have 26k on my TDI...guess I am due for it to fail. The problem wasn't the necessarily the pump but the calibration. Dealers threw new pumps at it until VW found out how to correctly address. Over on ClubTouareg, this issue has subsided considerably.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:12 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Giving this a bump. I'm considering possibly moving to a 2011 or 2013 turbo. What's the group consensus on reliability between the '06 TTS which has done very well for me and the 958's in general, and then these two MY's in particular?
Old 08-18-2015, 02:10 PM
rting
Instructor

My 04' C S is around 50km on the Odo and had the usual spark plugs issue and I went and replace the coolant pipes (before any issue).

It is a gas guzzler and I may still have issue with the air-conditioner's noise.

The interior is in excellent condition and it just needs a good clay/wax, etc.

I am not sure if I have the drive shaft issue though.

Reliable? I cannot say I am happy on that camp but not unhappy though. Most likely keeping it for a few more years, etc. Drove a 2015 C S courtesy car around for a couple of days while mine was replacing coolant pipes and I could not help stop but wondered on the electronics and their reliability though.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:24 PM
tcfs
Advanced

I thought I could give some input. I just bought a 05 ctt with 170,000 miles from SoCal and it was a second owner car. I do have service records all the way back to purchase. The car is great, I was hesitant on buying it at first with that many miles but the owner assured me it still drives close to new. So I went to California from Illinois and buy it, it has been very well taken care of. All issues and updates done, ie the coolant tubes ect. I love my flying pig and I don't know if I so happen to get a good one or there all this way but I highly recommend buying one with history.
Oil consumption is not bad, if you drive it like your on fire it uses a quart every three fuel stops. Drive it normal and it has not used much. Maybe a quart every 1500 mile and on average I get about 19 to 20 mpg.
The only issue I have with is intermittently the warning will come on for the turn signal, turn the car off and it rests and goes away. I think it might be the plug in or possible corrosion on the connector, I have to pull the light and see.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcfs
I thought I could give some input. I just bought a 05 ctt with 170,000 miles from SoCal and it was a second owner car. I do have service records all the way back to purchase. The car is great, I was hesitant on buying it at first with that many miles but the owner assured me it still drives close to new. So I went to California from Illinois and buy it, it has been very well taken care of. All issues and updates done, ie the coolant tubes ect. I love my flying pig and I don't know if I so happen to get a good one or there all this way but I highly recommend buying one with history.
Oil consumption is not bad, if you drive it like your on fire it uses a quart every three fuel stops. Drive it normal and it has not used much. Maybe a quart every 1500 mile and on average I get about 19 to 20 mpg.
The only issue I have with is intermittently the warning will come on for the turn signal, turn the car off and it rests and goes away. I think it might be the plug in or possible corrosion on the connector, I have to pull the light and see.
I agree I picked up an 05ctt last year with 140k on it. 2 owner car all Maintence records. After 4k miles it's been a great vehicle. Granted I'm a low mileage driver but I think these vehicles are pretty solid
Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 PM
mr2sc
Intermediate

I have a 09 S that now has 94,000km and I have a few thoughts to add which may be of interest.
My extended warranty happens to expire tomorrow, and fortunately Porsche is replacing my CDR-30 radio for the third time now (it keeps rebooting). Phew!

Mechanically, at about 75,000km they replaced the leaking thermostat, then a few months later, the starter motor that drowned underneath it.

I've had a few other lesser issues corrected under warranty such as the washer fluid tank leaking, headlight beam adjustment ,and left side bank camshaft sensor.

Oil consumption is negligible however, but I simply don't believe in the long change intervals Porsche suggest and change mine every 8000km (5000miles). I add about 1/2qt in this period, just to top it up.

An acquaintance with a 08S just had an engine rebuild however (scored pistons) and he had been following the lengthy intervals. His Cayenne had 158,000km at the time and I do believe that the cause was the service interval. It just doesn't make sense to me, because even though the oil may not break down, its carrying and circulating dirt.

Anyhow, I now have the option of extending the warranty another 2yrs, but at CAD$3750 + $300 inspection + 15%taxes (Canada), I'm going to take a chance and pass on it. I do minor service myself and have a good Porsche mechanic who can do the other stuff.

Overall, my real fear is of niggling electrical problems, not major mechanical stuff (I don't have PASM), but like anything else, it's like an insurance gamble.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overall Reliability of Cayenne