Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May Upgrade from Touareg TDI Exec to Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:19 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm ~380 miles south of Chicago, so I'm not sure if these numbers are representative. But if it helps; I paid $48k for my TDI Sport LA, drove it 17k miles over 16 months. Nashville Porsche allowed $40k trade-in against the Cayenne. Interestingly, they did this without even seeing the car. Don't know if dealer discounts differ between inventory and special order, but they gave me 2.2% off MSRP (build price) for the one I configured.

//greg//
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, that is a relatively small hit. I was offered $41k for my Exec trim, which proves the theory that the bells and whistles mean little.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

A mate just got a CD last week to replace his 2010 Toureg. He was most surprised at how well it goes, his wife says shes never thought she would be in love with a Porsche. He even went so far as to compare the steering with his Maranello!! [Also has a Vantage in the garage]

The difference would appear to be a lot; his wife really disliked the Toureg, felt sluggish, heavy, she almost refused to drive it! [normally drives her SLK]. They both have been completely bowled over at the difference in the way they drive. From someone who used to say they are both the same, why pay more, its been a interesting turn around.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM
fincher
Racer

Agree since it was replacing a T1/T2 Touareg. Same for the Cayenne from then, too. The difference between the latest version for both is dramatically better. I can make the comparison myself: owned a 2007 Touareg V8 before my current 2012 TDI. Big difference.

Relative to the sticker of a TDI Exec trim, the CD with Premium Plus is not that big of a price jump.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just found it interesting one reporting that the wife changed to a Porsche fan. When we received the Cayenne Diesel in September, my wife had the same transformation. I do agree that the interior and handling are the major differences to the Touareg. Although I would also say, that even with the Plus Package the price difference is more than 11k. Just think of an additional $3k for 20 inch wheels on the Cayenne and some other stuff. However, you can personalize it like hell. My one is jet black, beige interior and all the stuff in chrome. Next time, I might go with the white one and all black parts and maybe interior black or two-tone (although I love the full beige, because you do not see it often except with Porsches). Add the black wheels and this still looks amazing but all different. Unfortunately, Porsche does not offer yellow anymore. I loved that.
After seven months with the Diesel I can only recommend it, still up to 37mpg on the highway and mostly at least 25 in the city. The only thing that annoys me, I am still waiting for a new analog clock as it failed after a week or so and the dealer cannot get a new one.
I test drove the Touareg about five months prior to the Cayenne. The only thing that I thought was better in the Touareg was the noise in idle, but maybe I just was so surprised at the first time, how nice Diesels are nowadays.
When I ordered in May 2012, I received 6% discount (in the greater Bay Area), but as Porsche is selling now about one third as Diesels in the US, I guess that those times are over. Good for resale on the other hand.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
fincher
Racer

I am going by sticker price. $60360 for my TDI Exec and around $71-72k for CD with Premium Package Plus and Pano roof. Been messing with the online configurator. Lots of fun. To me, the big difference is the interior. Huge step up. Both handle great, even though the Cayenne handles better.

Not a badge guy but the price difference between the two is justified. If I could get the sport seats found on the Touareg sold in Europe I would consider that route, too. Don't need to be sold on the diesel. Would not have considered a Cayenne without it and wish it was available sooner. My TDI is fantastic.

Quick Reply: May Upgrade from Touareg TDI Exec to Cayenne Diesel