Bi xenon adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Bi-Xenon systems found in the Cayenne, from the very beginning, used the Xenon HID bulb for regular lighting situations as well as high-beams. The shutter found in the assembly is opened completely when one activates the high-beam and is partially closed when using the normal dipped beam. This is the factory setup. Flash to pass is simply a flash of the standard high-beam.

To asnwer some questions posed in this thread....
1. This is a factory setup. Bi-Xenon lights were an option in the early model years and the standard lighting offering was the halogen lighting package.
2. No, you cannot adjust the Bi-Xenon lights using any of what most of us would consider "normal" adjustment screws. The height adjustment is handled completely by the combination control unit/ballast located at the back of the headlight assembly. The control unit works in conjunction with level sensors located at the front and rear axles to control where the beam falls. This adjustment can only be performed by someone using the factory PIWIS or PST2 tester. Watching the adjustment process is actually pretty interesting as the car moves up and down if you have PASM.

Toby
+1

Toby got it right. My Cayenne has bi-xenon lights. The shutter opens fully when the high beams are activated, except for "flash to pass", which is the halogens.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bi-Xenon systems found in the Cayenne, from the very beginning, used the Xenon HID bulb for regular lighting situations as well as high-beams. The shutter found in the assembly is opened completely when one activates the high-beam and is partially closed when using the normal dipped beam. This is the factory setup. Flash to pass is simply a flash of the standard high-beam.
Thanks Toby. Looks like I had the high beam and flash-to-pass functions backwards.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Toby and also u confirm that we can't adjust the bi xenon beams at home? Cos the screws to adjust are still present.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Confirmed. Mere mortals cannot properly adjust Bi-Xenon headlights on the Cayenne.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
TozoM8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toby has it right. All bi-xenons uses a flip mirror and one bulb.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM
DesertCayenne
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by virkdoc
I was having some trouble with my Cayenne 2006 headlamps. It has a bixenon setup, the light was too dim.
I took out the D1S bulbs and found that the bulbs were a little hazt with a dark brown discoloration around the middle. They are Osram Xenarc 35W
Picture1 is of the bulb with the discoloration
Hi,

I'm the owner of a 2004 Turbo Cayenne that I bought recently and I am facing exactly the same problem as yours. My Xenon lights are really dim, even the foglights are working better...
My bulbs have the same discoloration as yours, both of them with a 2005 DOT. Before buying some new bulbs, what was the solution you found for your "dimmed" lights, change the bulbs or the balasts?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Hi I did change the bulbs out and there was a difference but it wasn't a huge difference....I think the ballast should be changed too....BUT...I managed to lower the beams because my beams were hitting the sky and it made a hugeeee difference.
But the irritating part was that I couldn't lower the xenons while they were installed so I had to pull out the whole headlight assembly and turn the white screw a few times clockwise to lower the xenons....it made a huge difference....so there are 3 screws...one lowers the xenon projector, the other moves the projector left or right and the third moves the high beam reflector left or right.
Still working on fine tuning it but lowering definitely helped...and after lowering and reinstalling the lights take the key out lock the car then unlock and switch on ignition again
Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 AM
virkdoc
Racer

To asnwer some questions posed in this thread....
1. This is a factory setup. Bi-Xenon lights were an option in the early model years and the standard lighting offering was the halogen lighting package.
2. No, you cannot adjust the Bi-Xenon lights using any of what most of us would consider "normal" adjustment screws. The height adjustment is handled completely by the combination control unit/ballast located at the back of the headlight assembly. The control unit works in conjunction with level sensors located at the front and rear axles to control where the beam falls. This adjustment can only be performed by someone using the factory PIWIS or PST2 tester. Watching the adjustment process is actually pretty interesting as the car moves up and down if you have PASM.

Toby
Toby I was able to lower the xenons without the PIWIS.....it's a simple rotation of the screw
Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM
DesertCayenne
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by virkdoc
Hi I did change the bulbs out and there was a difference but it wasn't a huge difference....I think the ballast should be changed too....BUT...I managed to lower the beams because my beams were hitting the sky and it made a hugeeee difference.
I checked the height of my beams and it seems that there are well adjusted.
Did you lower the beams with the new bulbs or with the old ones?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
virkdoc
Racer

With the new bulbs....sit in the car and when the xenons cycle watch how bright they are when they are slightly lower...so I made them slightly lower and it helped
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
DesertCayenne
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the informations provided (in between I tried to clean the lense not much results), I'm going to Germany for vacations nextly and will buy some new bulbs over there (Osram Xenarc Silverstar).
I'll try them when I come back and will give the results on this thread.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Bi xenon adjustment question