Sponsored by:

2005 Cayenne S, Need Brake Flush DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM
fcienfuegos
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Cayenne S, Need Brake Flush DIY

Hi, so I just got to 60k and need to do a brake flush, along with other things which I've already done in the past so no worries about oil change, but it's the first time I will do a brake flush and I was wondering if there is a detailed DIY for this task, I've looked on the forum but failed to find anything, I have ordered the Motive tool and Porsche brake fluid, all I need is detailed instructions.

Thank you very much for your help.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We offer a how to video that explains everything using a Motive Bleeder, too help better explain the process.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
fcienfuegos
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
We offer a how to video that explains everything using a Motive Bleeder, too help better explain the process.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
CdnRD
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is ther a way of doing it using the ABS pump?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

X2 on using a Motive Power Bleeder! Its a great tool that makes my life, dealing with multiple track cars, much simpler.

FWIW, there's 2 ways to use it. If doing a complete fluid flush, the "Wet" method involves putting new fluid into the Motive bottle, and letting it pump it through the system until you've got fresh fluid coming out of all 4 calipers. But if used Wet, afterwards best to drain out any un-used fluid from the bottle, and then flush/clean the Motive bleeder. This is from Motive's website:
8) How do I use and maintain my POWER BLEEDER? The POWER BLEEDER is very easy to use and maintain.
For instructions on how to use the unit please see the SUPPORT page. To clean the POWER BLEEDER after use
pour denatured alcohol into the tank and into the tube. Dispose of the dirty alcohol. Allow the unit to air dry. Store in a
cool, dry, dark area with the hose wrapped loosely around the unit. DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER ON ANY PART
OF THE UNIT. If denatured alcohol can not be found a mild dish washing detergent may be used, however insure all
soap is rinsed out prior to air drying unit and that unit is completely dry prior to next use.
The other method is to use it "Dry". Once I know that I have a good baseline of fresh fluid in the car's braking system, I attach the Motive and use it only to pressurize the system. I then flush one caliper at a time, disconnecting the Motive and re-filling the master cylinder's reservior between calipers. I do this for every track event, and the result is that the entire system is flushed through at least every 3 or 4 events. Easy to do, even at the track, and doesn't require any cleanup of the Motive.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Motive style bleeder and I've done the 993 several times and the BMW's too, the thing that scares me about doing the "dry method" on the P!g is you have such little visibility of where the fluid level is on the master cyl of the Cayenne. I will continue to use the wet method for it.

My bleeder is a Motive knock-off that has quick release fittings for the cap and a pressure release valve at the top of the bleeder container. I like it a lot.

Before pouring in the ATE fluid I use for the Porsche's I flush it out with a little of the Valvoline "Synthetic" brake fluid (much cheaper) just to clean it out.

For evacuating the old fluid out of the res. I have a vacuum tool from Lowes that's intended to be used to change oil on lawn mowers (about $25). Sucks that fluid right out.

To the OP, if you haven't flushed brakes yourself before be very careful about letting the fluid get too low in the Master Cylinder, if you suck air into the ABS system it might be a real bear to get out (have no experience w/ that on a Cayenne). It's better to be safe than sorry on that job.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 02-22-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I typically use the dry method if doing a quick bleed of the system, removing little fluid. The wet method is ideal for a complete fluid flush.
Originally Posted by CdnRD
Is ther a way of doing it using the ABS pump?
There is a program in PIWIS for bleeding the ABS hydraulic unit, but I believe you are still supposed to pressurize the system for that.

Quick Reply: 2005 Cayenne S, Need Brake Flush DIY