2003 Cayenne Turbo wet carpets/bad condensation

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 AM
chrispiec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Cayenne Turbo wet carpets/bad condensation

Hi Guys,

I drive a UK spec cayenne and for the last month or so i have noticed that my drivers side front, passenger side front and drivers side rear passenger carpets are wet and cannot find fault. Have check AC drain and this is clear, plus im not using the AC anyway as its so cold on Scotland. Ive also unblocked and actually removed the 2 rubber drains behind the wheel liner. They were badly blocked and a lot of water came out. Well that was a week ago and still the carpets are wet and dont seems to be drying. Ive had a fan heater in the car to help dry it out.

Ive checked the sunroof drains and they are flowing fine. What else can i check? Also if i solved the problem last week by removing the rubber drains how long would it take to dry out? The carpets are saturated particularly the drivers side rear passenger.

Any help appreciated. Weather is really wet and want to get to the bottom before electrics get damaged or rusting

Chris
Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No direct experience in the Cayenne, but similar threads say one of the two items you've addressed already it the likely cause. I do, however, have the unfortunate experience of soaked floor boards due to POs that didn't care about their car...

Your issue now is getting the carpet dry and that is not a simple thing. Based on your description of it being saturated, the heater an fan are going to do nothing significant. Your problem is that the under padding is also soaked as well.

What you need to do is pull the carpet up so you can get air flowing between the carpet and pad (and will probably want to hit the pad good with a wet/dry vac). Again, no Cayenne specific experience, but I expect you'll need to pull the door sills, the bottom of the b-pillar, and probably the front seat to be able to do that effectively.

If it was just the front or back I would say just pop the relevant sill and stick the wet/dry hose under it in the blower config, but I think you have a much bigger mess than that.

Even still, it will take a long time to dry so hopefully this isn't your only car...

While you have the carpet up, you should inspect the wiring and connectors under there. Some of these threads have talked about connectors getting corroded and causing all kinds of gremlins.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM
chrispiec
Intermediate

yeah i was thinking that the issue could now be solved but that since the carpets etc were soaked it would take them a while to dry. I have access to a vacuum that can suck up the water and i want to get the carpets up etc but this is my only car and i hasnt stopped raining for weeks now and i dont have a garage. I am going to try a dehumidifier in the car over night tonight to see how that gets on.

So you think that i have poterntially fixed the original problem but now getting rid of the water is my new problem.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispiec
So you think that i have poterntially fixed the original problem but now getting rid of the water is my new problem.
Like I said I don't have Cayenne specific experience in this, so I can only guess based on other similar threads I've read.

Unfortunately until you can get the carpets dry it will be hard to know if it is fixed for sure.

Sorry it's your only car, that definitely complicates things for you as I expect it will take a long time (multiple days at least) to clean this up properly.

My swimming pool on wheels was an old BMW. I ended up tearing out the carpet all together and found that the under padding was soaked and had a good amount of mold in it. That car turned into a disaster and it all started from wet floors

Given the improvements in paint and materials as well as it's relative young age I doubt you'll find the rust problems I did, but it's still not something to take lightly in my opinion.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 PM
chrispiec
Intermediate

got the dehum in the car just now along with 2 fan heaters. It's like a humid oven in there. So hopefully this gets me somewhere.

Quick Reply: 2003 Cayenne Turbo wet carpets/bad condensation