Sponsored by:

03-06 Cayenne Cardan Shaft (aka drive shaft) Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:37 AM
sup44
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 102K Miles. Cardan Drive Shaft Support Failure

Had to install a rebuilt drive line (Cardan Shaft) this past Friday.. What a pain in the A$$...

All done and runs smooth now and only spent $375 (after $50 refundable core) for the rebuilt shaft from Colorado Drive Shafts. Great service and product.

Biggest pain was taking it off.. took 5+ hrs to get it off and 1 hr to get it back on. the coupler is fitted about 1/4" in to the rear diff.. it was rusted.. for the life of me , I couldnt get that thing off.... Colorado drive shaft staff recommended I re attached the front to the flex disc and center mount and leave the rear diff unbolted.. then put car in D then R to try and break the bond to the diff... that did not work... So sat and thought about it for a while. after a beer or two and some deep thought..... light bulb... I ended up keeping it attached up front (loosely) and detached in rear with the center support still bolted.. lifted the front wheels, then blocking off the rear wheels... put her in R and gave it a little gas. front wheels turned, rears didnt.... POP!!!! finally got it loose from the rear Diff..

Posting here in case any other poor sole encounters this problem.. Hope it helps someone...
Attached Images    

Last edited by sup44; 06-07-2017 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (08-14-2023)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Taylorcar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a good tip/idea.
When I did this, I had everything torn apart and ready to go and fought with getting it loose for hours. Ultimately had it flat decked to a shop. They were able to get it off easier because they could left the car higher and place far more torque on the shaft (higher angle, as it doesn't hit the ground after ~1foot).
Wish I had thought of this...
Old 06-07-2017, 12:00 PM
sup44
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beers and deep thought... lol... was stumped for about 1.5 hrs before I called Colorado drive shaft..then work on their idea for another 1.5 hours (along with trying to chisel at it) .. then about gave up.. drank a couple beers.. sitting in the front seat..... thats when it hit me to really use the 380HP to get that ***** loose.. ..... I actually just found this thread today... we both stated "for the life of me couldnt get that thing off"... LOL.. sorry to hear you had to flat bed it.... that thought crossed my mind as well for about an hour or so..
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (08-14-2023)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:04 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reason you didn't do the jimmy fix?
Old 06-07-2017, 07:40 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, this is not too different from the processes involved when you let a truck or tractor sit too long and the clutch rusts to the flywheel! My neighbors thought I had totally lost my mind one day when I was doing some wild things similar to this (and more) to try to break a really stuck clutch loose.

Quick Reply: 03-06 Cayenne Cardan Shaft (aka drive shaft) Replacement DIY