Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water dripping - Behind LH Wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM
BAD930
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water dripping - Behind LH Wheel ?

Hi all.

I'm sure you have been asked this a million times, but i could not find the answer in the search function so please bare with me.

I have water dripping behind the front left hand wheel on my CTT, even with the car off overnight theres a small puddle under it.

A crawl under the car shows its dripping through the plastic sill shields behind the lower control arm towards the A pillar

I cant quite distinguish if theres coolant in it, and a check of the overflow bottle reveals all is well. (at this point)

Could this be imminent failure of the pipes that everyone talks about.. or something else... heater core ?

and yes the aircon is off so its not that...
Old 02-03-2013, 05:30 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you certain its not condensate water from the air conditioner? Is it very humid there? Any color or sheen to the liquid? If you had a leak in the heater core (pressurized) it wouldn't be long before there was a noticeable drop in the reservoir level...and coolant odor is unmistakeable.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 PM
BAD930
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick response, im confident its not condensate.. further to support this it still leaks after sitting there all weekend not being used... yes has a sheen to it..
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to guess that it's washer water from your windshield washer system. That's what the leak was on my Carrera. Is the washer bottle sitting above the location of the leak? The rubber grommets that seal around the washer pump motors get old and lose their elasticity, then start leaking.

TIP: If similar to the Carrera pumps, you can buy the same seals from BMW at a fraction of the cost from Porsche.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM
BAD930
Intermediate

i thought about that, but the washer system is on the RH side...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, but it could be from a leaking windshield fluid hose or fitting as well. If it drips onto something else - like a wire or another hose - the leaking fluid could travel a long way before hitting the ground

//greg//
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The turbo's do have a T fitting by the firewall below the windshield behind the engine, not sure if that would leak there, but it is a known failure point.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it water or something else? Any color or odor? See if you can put a cup or pan underneath to collect a small sample. I think the power steering fluid is on that side, and it will feel oily.

And Toureg parts can be had for a fraction of P!g parts.

Quick Reply: Water dripping - Behind LH Wheel ?