Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket trailer hitch...easy install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You have to cut hole in the bumper cover

I used a fine tooth hacksaw blade with a rag wrapped around it for a handle. As you can see, I still had my paper lincense plate when I performed the surgery! It really was easy when I followed the directions I found either here on Rennlist or Pelican.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:14 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM trailer plug kit

I also purchased this plug receiver from the Porsche dealer. Got a handy dandy pigtail from the West Marine store that converted this round 6 pin to a flat 4 pin connector that is on all our trailers. I ran a boat dealership for 12 years and I can't handle a bunch of half *** quick clips and splices in my wiring. The OEM kit also comes with a beautiful heavy duty slid in bar and 2" ball.
Attached Images  

Last edited by usmm1234; 06-24-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Had the wrong number of pins on receptacle
Old 04-26-2020, 02:26 AM
qwertyd10n
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usmm1234
I used a fine tooth hacksaw blade with a rag wrapped around it for a handle. As you can see, I still had my paper lincense plate when I performed the surgery! It really was easy when I followed the directions I found either here on Rennlist or Pelican.
I recently bought an '09 Turbo S and I'm installing a factory hitch. I'm pretty sure I know where to make the cutout on the bumper cover, but I'm curious just how much maneuvering it requires to get the received end through that hole when reinstalling the bumper cover? Any tips of tricks to share?
Old 04-26-2020, 02:09 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I did this a couple weeks ago. It is pretty easy overall IMO.

There are traced lines on the back of the bumper cover to guide your cut lines. Use the lines to the Driver side. Do not cut the full "oval", which might be the template for the Euro automatic retracting hitch ball.

I used a Bosch oscillating cutting tool which made cutting the plastic a piece of cake.

Adding: turned a Starbuck mall crawler into a real truck! Hang dem truck nutz! LOL

Old 04-26-2020, 03:32 PM
qwertyd10n
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillow
I did this a couple weeks ago. It is pretty easy overall IMO.

There are traced lines on the back of the bumper cover to guide your cut lines. Use the lines to the Driver side. Do not cut the full "oval", which might be the template for the Euro automatic retracting hitch ball.

I used a Bosch oscillating cutting tool which made cutting the plastic a piece of cake.

Adding: turned a Starbuck mall crawler into a real truck! Hang dem truck nutz! LOL
Thanks for the input Pillow. I'm pretty clear on how to cut the "oval" (more of a rectangle with rounded corners) on the horizontal part of the bumper cover - thanks for the tip about not going all the way to the passenger side.

It's the more vertical parts below that on my Turbo S valance that I'm not 100% sure about. I found a couple pics on other threads last night, so I think I have a better handle on it... I'll have to see if there are cut lines on that piece to follow.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by qwertyd10n
Thanks for the input Pillow. I'm pretty clear on how to cut the "oval" (more of a rectangle with rounded corners) on the horizontal part of the bumper cover - thanks for the tip about not going all the way to the passenger side.

It's the more vertical parts below that on my Turbo S valance that I'm not 100% sure about. I found a couple pics on other threads last night, so I think I have a better handle on it... I'll have to see if there are cut lines on that piece to follow.
Yes, the cut lines extend down 2-3" to open the area for the lower hitch and 7 pin plug.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket trailer hitch...easy install?