Loose side mirror glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Loose side mirror glass

Must be my week to fix side mirrors this week. First was our E46 wagon, er, touring's passenger side mirror mount needed some help to keep it from wobbling so bad it made me dizzy looking at it.

Today, on the way up the hill, I noticed the CS driver side mirror was wobbling... WTH? Turns out 99% of the adhesive holding the mirror to the mount had failed! One itty bitty bit of glue was holding the mirror from falling off.

Off goes the mirror from the housing, it just snaps off, just like the E46 actually. Be careful to not pull out the heater wires.

I used a small bit of silicone to reattach the mirror to the mount. Let it set and presto, no more shaking mirror syndrome.

Ah, the joys of finding all sorts of little things to fix on a new to me vehicle. In the bigger picture, this really was no big deal.

Hope that helps anyone who may see this happen to your P!G.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 AM
meszaros1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advise
literally as easy as you described...
Old 06-03-2016, 06:51 PM
khowell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger side side view is now wobbling a bit. Do I just grab on to the glass and pull it out?
Old 06-03-2016, 09:01 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

at least you caught it. my wife came home without the passenger glass one day. replacement is not too expensive but the car was parked for a week as it was dangerous to drive without it.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:56 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by khowell
My passenger side side view is now wobbling a bit. Do I just grab on to the glass and pull it out?
Thats what I did to mine 2 yrs ago. If it's loose just help it off with firm pulling. Probably best to center it first so you can align it more easily when gluing. I used silicon cement and taped it with a wad of paper to maintain some pressure on the mirror. Cured overnight.

Quick Reply: Loose side mirror glass