White Light Options For License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White Light Options For License Plate

Hi all

I just bought 2 new license plate bulb holders from Porsche so the lenses are nice and clear and i fitted some super white halogen bulbs but the result isnt that great. Sure, the light it whiter but not enough light is emitted from them.

I chose this option because i have previously fitted LED's to my Mercedes SL and the whole back end of the car was illuminated, and the road also. Not good.

Is there an LED option which is somewhere in-between such that it looks like the newer modern white lights that the likes of BMW etc are fitting these days without the illumination being OTT?

Error free too ofcourse.

Thanks

Carl
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like the most insanely vain thing to upgrade.

I understand we all want our cars to look cool, but this seems like a part that you personally will never see and it's sole function is to make others think your car is newer?!!?

At least when you falsely badge your S to a Turbo or Turbo to Turbo S you get to read the lie as you walk up to your car. This you don't even see cause your in the car.

Anyway....sorry for the rant.

We're your existing bulbs blown out? Did they need replaced anyway? There are some sites like superbrightleds.com where you can order the LED version of the light bulbs.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rant understood but yes the left side was corroded and the bulb was no longer lit and when i got the new ones from Porsche the lenses were clear as day so i thought id try a crisper looking white bulb rather than the yellowish effect that normal ones seem to have.

Here in the UK new Range Rovers, BMW's and many more are getting a white effect license plate lighting and it freshens up the look of the car so much IMHO.

The red rear lights on my 955 CTT are very bright whereas the license plate was quite dull, perhaps this was down to dirty and old lenses but i wanted to brighten the license bulbs just to make them similar.

I'm not trying to make it look newer, its not a 958 so nobody will think it is newer than it actually is.

Many people do this hence my question as to what others have used to get a blend of just enough white without it being too illuminated.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

carlos50 We offer LED license plate blubs that you might be interested in. Shown below are the LED's installed. Click Here for more information.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Mdot
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can have a look at hoen-usa. They have some options that ive heard good things about.

http://hoen-usa.com/licenseplate.htm
Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@ECS Tuning, Do your bulbs throw any error codes and do you have install instructions?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 PM
racer_65
Racer

I have this mod on my '06 Cayenne. Make sure you get a 37mm Festoon bulb. There's a great selection on Amazon for less than $10. You won't get any error.
Attached Images  

Last edited by racer_65; 12-23-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Found a set dirt cheap. Thanks racer_65.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Lexlthr Ours do not throw any error codes and you do not need to wire up fancy resistors or rework your factory wiring to get them functioning properly. Simply remove your plate light assembly, replace the factory incandescent bulb with our Ziza bulb, and re-install the plate light assembly. But remember when installing bulbs, be sure to place the end with the large heat sink pointing upwards to ensure the brightest part of the LED will be shining down on your license plate.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 AM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Update.

Got a set from ECS Tuning. I must say this is one of the best mods I have ever done! I love the updated look of the rear end with the new bulbs in and it even helps to better light my backup camera at night as I could barely see before.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Got a set from ECS Tuning. I must say this is one of the best mods I have ever done! I love the updated look of the rear end with the new bulbs in and it even helps to better light my backup camera at night as I could barely see before.
Thank you for the support Lexlthr
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
davek9
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 197 Posts

I think these LED's are a great upgrade, have them on my 928's and it lowers the over all current draw.
A plug n play solution like ecs has sound even better too me

Note: if they are festoons they can be turned to give off the amount of light you desire.
Dave

Quick Reply: White Light Options For License Plate