Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HAVE YOU BEEN DEFRAUDED BY A PORSCHE DEALER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Thegman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HAVE YOU BEEN DEFRAUDED BY A PORSCHE DEALER?

In the last few weeks I have become aware from several independent sources of a scheme where certain Porsche dealers are defrauding new car customers. Here is how the scheme works:

An unsuspecting customer buys a new car from a Porsche dealer. The dealer, unbeknownst to the customer, has reported the car "sold" at an earlier date to PCNA to inflate sales figures and has "punched" the warrantee. So the 4 year/50K mile warrantee starts running once the warrantee is punched. There is no disclosure from the dealer as to this practice and nothing is written on the customer invoice to advise the customer as to the practice.

If the customer doesn't catch the fraud, they are left with a reduced warrantee period. Interestingly, the EPA Emissions Warranty also starts with the "punch" and I'm not sure if the EPA would get the joke.

So the new Porsche owner learns he will not be receiving a 4 year warranty when he brings the car to a dealer for routine maintenance (or a catastrophic failure) and the dealer’s service invoice reflects the actual "Warranty Expiration Date." I'm sure many owners never even notice, till something breaks like a rear main seal or an intermediate shaft bearing. Then the customer is left holding the bag.

I encourage the Rennlist readers who have purchased new cars within the last 4 years to determine if they received a full four year warranty. Here is how to check:

1. Find your new car purchase invoice from your Porsche dealer and find the “Sale date.”

2. Review any service invoice received from a Porsche dealer. The “Warranty Expiration Date” is reflected on it near the top of the form.

3. If the Warranty Expiration Date is less than four years from the Sale Date, you have been the victim of a fraud scheme. Unless the dealer disclosed the shorter warranty period at the time of purchase.

If you believe you have been victimized, send me a personal message with your contact information.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM
chasz
Intermediate

That's been going on for years in the entire business. This is not news.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

It may not be news but it's fraud nonetheless. I'm sure the US Attorney would like to hear about this, even though Porsche owners may not be the most sympathetic victims.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree its not right if its happening, but if you are knowledgable about the basics of warranty law and willing to stand up for yourself its only a minor annoyance.

Regardless of what their computer says your paper work on a new (no previous registrations) contains the purchase date and mileage. That is all that matters in such a dispute and the dealers know it. Only an idiot dealer would not honor the warranty when challenged with the proper documentation.

Now if the car was previously registered (or used as a demonstrator/loaner) and sold to you as new, then the state you purchased it would like to talk to you and then have a conversation with the dealer
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
medent
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to me. Just sent a PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I agree its not right if its happening, but if you are knowledgable about the basics of warranty law and willing to stand up for yourself its only a minor annoyance.

Regardless of what their computer says your paper work on a new (no previous registrations) contains the purchase date and mileage. That is all that matters in such a dispute and the dealers know it. Only an idiot dealer would not honor the warranty when challenged with the proper documentation.

Now if the car was previously registered (or used as a demonstrator/loaner) and sold to you as new, then the state you purchased it would like to talk to you and then have a conversation with the dealer
I see another problem if you sell the car before the warranty is up, the 2nd buyer would get screwed with little recourse.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also happened to me, about 2 weeks short of the 4-year warranty, when I asked my service department, they said they will honor me the final 2 weeks of warranty at their dealership.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

More likely that the service department will honor warranty if you bought car there Not always the case.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have heard of this too. Very important for the consumer to know the wrrty expiration.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

I do not see a warranty exp. date on my invoice where I had them install the OEM hitch on my Cayenne. The box is empty. Will need to wait for my first 10K service
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
I do not see a warranty exp. date on my invoice where I had them install the OEM hitch on my Cayenne. The box is empty. Will need to wait for my first 10K service
You could also just stop in at the Svc. Dept. and ask the SA, they'll input your VIN and it will come up.

As for the dealer honoring the last 2 weeks, if you were on the road try getting another dealer to honor it.

I would be pissed, just on the principle.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If this indeed does occur, the dealer is playing a dangerous game with their finance company. New cars are "floorplanned" meaning, they are not the owned by the dealer. The mfr and its finance partner own the cars and have them on the floor for a small interest rate paid by the dealer.

When the dealer sells the car, the dealer gets paid and the warranty starts, etc. If the dealer is playing games with dates of sale, then he is defrauding the mfr and finance company which has much larger repercussions than a few weeks on a warranty. Meaning, the mfr and finance company can shut them down and take the inventory.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this happens a lot in Europe
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Happened on my Wifes Merc SLK.

Quick Reply: HAVE YOU BEEN DEFRAUDED BY A PORSCHE DEALER?