Sponsored by:

Plasti-dip silver window trim to black

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
e36bmer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti-dip silver window trim to black

I recently bought this Cayenne Turbo and the silver window trim was just killing me. I had to make it black as quickly as possible. So, I decided to try the Plasti-dip method. Here are a few pics of the process. Basically, you just tape around the trim, leaving a bit of a gap, then when it dries, you can pull the tape off and the edge of the trim creates a nice line for the paint. I have had it on there for a couple of weeks now, and I have also now done the door handles, badge and silver strip on the bottom of the doors. I would say that everything worked out well, except for the B and C pillars. Since the doors open and close right on this edge, it peels the paint off a little. So, I am planning to pull off that Plasti-dip paint there, and use some vinyl to re-cover it. Once I have that put on, I'll show some pictures of the whole thing.

For a little comparison

Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice work! Definitely a positive upgrade. The only concern I have is long term adhesion onto stainless-steel trim. Flashback to the 80's when GM was painting their stainless-steel wiper arms which resulted in flaking after a while.

Did you lightly sand the surface prior to painting?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 AM
e36bmer
Track Day

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Nice work! Definitely a positive upgrade. The only concern I have is long term adhesion onto stainless-steel trim. Flashback to the 80's when GM was painting their stainless-steel wiper arms which resulted in flaking after a while.

Did you lightly sand the surface prior to painting?
At first I didn't sand it at all. I was worried about it sticking and me not being able to pull it up. I was just kinda testing it out. But, I pulled that part off, and re painted after sanding a little, and maybe that will last longer. I mean, honestly, if it stays for a year looking good, I'd be happy. It only took me about 2 hrs to do the whole car's trim and cost about $15. I had put plasti-dip on my BMW chrome window trim before, and 3 years later when I sold it, it was looking just as good as when it was freshly painted.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

Just a heads up. I've been in the Audi scene for a while now. Pretty much where plastidiping your car came from. I've had it on my wheels which I think would take more or a beating then the window trim and it held up beautifully for two years. I touched it up once only because I was a dumb *** and put brake dust cleaner on them. It peeled a little bit. Stuff serves its purpose really well. You shouldn't have had to do any sanding though. Should have just went right on.

Looks nice though! Really nice. I'm vinyl wrapping my b and c pillar Saturday, then plastidiping the trim.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Mdot
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e36bmer
I recently bought this Cayenne Turbo and the silver window trim was just killing me. I had to make it black as quickly as possible. So, I decided to try the Plasti-dip method. Here are a few pics of the process. Basically, you just tape around the trim, leaving a bit of a gap, then when it dries, you can pull the tape off and the edge of the trim creates a nice line for the paint. I have had it on there for a couple of weeks now, and I have also now done the door handles, badge and silver strip on the bottom of the doors. I would say that everything worked out well, except for the B and C pillars. Since the doors open and close right on this edge, it peels the paint off a little. So, I am planning to pull off that Plasti-dip paint there, and use some vinyl to re-cover it. Once I have that put on, I'll show some pictures of the whole thing.

For a little comparison

I did the same exact thing to my titanium metallic CS. Everything held up very well for the last year except for the pillars bc of the open and closing of the doors. I had them wrapped in matte black vinyl instead which did the trick!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work. Came out real nice.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, luckly my 06 Titanium Edition came with the Titanium trims.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys anyone knows how to pull of this trim so we can spray paint it?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The trim between the front door and rear door is a few screws. The trim between the rear door and rear window requires the rear-most window to be removed.

I had purchased the black trim pieced intending to do this but then bailed on the idea when I needed to pull the glass.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM
westy66
Instructor

personally, i dont 'get' the blacked-out thing. especially plasti-dipping pieces of your $50k plus Cayenne. no offense, but i dont like it. what about the silver bits that are left; door handles, wheels, rocker trim, etc... whats next, stick-on fender vents? a hood scoop?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:44 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by westy66
personally, i dont 'get' the blacked-out thing. especially plasti-dipping pieces of your $50k plus Cayenne. no offense, but i dont like it. what about the silver bits that are left; door handles, wheels, rocker trim, etc... whats next, stick-on fender vents? a hood scoop?
The other argument is why would Porsche build a $50k+ vehicle and use trim that makes it look like a logging trailer

Old 01-27-2014, 03:40 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
The other argument is why would Porsche build a $50k+ vehicle and use trim that makes it look like a logging trailer

A cayenne looks as much like that as it does a slice of pound cake.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM
pcst
Racer

Oh wow, looks night and day!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it, I think it modernizes the vehicle somewhat.

I have been thinking of something like this also can you take pictures from further back so I can decide if I want to do mine.

Oh and the new one seems to have black pillars!
Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 PM
mletchworth
2nd Gear

Here are some rough photoshop examples I did for my wife's Cayenne. I think we'll probably go with some gloss black vinyl wrap.

Stock

Matte Black

Gloss Black

Quick Reply: Plasti-dip silver window trim to black