Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy this GTS without CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 AM
skinnywhite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy this GTS without CPO?

I want to buy a GTS. I looked at one at a local dealer and I asked the salesman why it wasn't CPO'd or if it could be CPO'd -- wondering if it had failed the inspection.

He told me that if the car wasn't CPO'd when they took it into inventory it was not possible to add the CPO later -- and that the dealer had not wanted to pay PCNA for the CPO. Does that sound right to you?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If they are not a Porsche dealer they cant CPO it, if they are than I might be suspicious.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not the way I understand the CPO process to work. If an inspection reveals it would cost more to bring a car to CPO standards than they can recover through a CPO selling price, the car is not a CPO candidate. My take is that the dealer decided they could make more money selling it As-Is. Besides, it's an Audi dealer listing that car. I realize that there's also a Porsche of Tysons Corner. So assuming the dealerships are co-owned, why isn't this GTS over on the Porsche lot?

//greg//
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This might be why they cant CPO

CARFAX
05/11/2010
Damage Report

Damage reported after
accident or other incident
Damage to left side
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's a Porsche dealer, they can CPO it at any time. However, if it's had significant body damage, it cannot be CPOd.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know about VAG/PAG, but BMW will still CPO if it has been in an accident as long as it still passes the inspection process. They (BMW dealers) don't CPO all their eligible cars though. It all depends on how well they think it can sell with or without it.

That said, I wouldn't worry about not having it CPO'd as I think dealers place too much of a premium on that. I wouldn't, however, take it without a PPI by an independent shop.

I didn't follow the link, but if it is from HBL (Porsche of Tysons and Audi/Benz of Tysons and Chantilly) I would be doubly cautious as I've watched them mistreat cars many times in the past. They are our closest dealer, but we've bought both our p-cars from Rockville and I wouldn't trust HBL to change my license plate...
Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how severe the collision damage was and why it failed emission (in VA of all places). I'd get a super PPI.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnywhite
He told me that if the car wasn't CPO'd when they took it into inventory it was not possible to add the CPO later -- and that the dealer had not wanted to pay PCNA for the CPO. Does that sound right to you?
Sounds like bunch of BS.

It had an accident reported in 2010 and it failed emissions on 10/30 and was put up for sale on 11/4 - WTF??
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I've stated my feelings on HBL, but what is the BS about all that? There all kinds of reasons it could have failed emissions that take little time to fix. Could have also been operator error too (I had that happen one year and it still got logged in the system as a fail even though there was a pass listed on the same day).

Regardless, a good PPI would be needed.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM
skinnywhite
Intermediate

so i went to drive it today. it looks very nice. nice rims. no obvious inconsistent panel gaps.

but as always i appreciate the experts on RL giving me the DL. he reiterated the story today about once it has been brought in they can't add CPO later. i didn't click the link to check and only after being there a half hour did i find out it had been in an accident.

the cars.com listing shows it at the Audi dealer but it is in fact at the porsche dealer. he made a show of calling the body shop and said it was a 2k repair that required a door.

it is the only GTS with rear entertainment anywhere close to me -- which is what my wife is looking for. but there is another one with same miles, with no accident, and CPO that is only 6k more asking price. so i'm headed to see that one next
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

What about using tablets and mounts for the rear entertainment? Much more versatile and if you don't need the cutting edge (e.g. Just playing movies) you can pick up older models cheap. Can even be useful out of the car (or in another one) too.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnywhite
he reiterated the story today about once it has been brought in they can't add CPO later.
It's possible that he's ill-informed, but more likely he's just lying. I've CPOd vehicles that had been on the lot for nearly a year. In some cases, the dealer that I worked for would even CPO a vehicle very shortly after it sold (though I don't remember specifically if that was actually allowed or not).
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM
skinnywhite
Intermediate

based on my visit to Len Stoler Porsche yesterday night I would have to say that XR4Tim is correct. they spoke casually about being able to CPO several Cayenne's that they had on their lot if desired. so i'm really questioning Porsche Tyson's corner's claim and going to look elsewhere
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I bet a good PPI finds something wrong (bad repairs from the accident, over revving, etc..) that makes it not possible/practical to CPO and they are just feeding you that line to obfuscate the issues they know about. They are the biggest dealer in the area so I have no doubt that they know they can CPO a good car anytime they want.

That doesn't mean it's a bad truck, just suggests that there is more than they are sharing. An independent PPI would be a must in my book.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like they have to much in the vehicle to do the CPO required repairs and still sell for profit.

Quick Reply: Would you buy this GTS without CPO?