Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My plastic coolant pipes are aluminum...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My plastic coolant pipes are aluminum...

I apologize for dispensing mis-information in my other thread titled "My aluminum pipes are plastic". The mechanic removed them and realized they were aluminum. In his defense they did sound like plastic when tapped.
On another note...in the process of replacing the leaking coolant hose just beyond the back of the engine he tore a couple more hoses getting it all apart because they were glued at the fittings. Also a t fitting was crumbling so we are replacing all the junk beyond the plastic coolant pipes that have been giving everyone problems. Lately I have been seeing a number of posts about leaks at the back of the engine. Might be a good idea to have a look back there if you have the manifolds off. Not easy to get to stuff back there though.

Eric
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The T-pipe behind the engine is semi-known to have issues for the CTT platforms.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad that he had some issues getting the hose out because it resulted in him finding the plastic t thingy.
There was another thread where i believe a dealership quoted $3700 to replace this part saying the engine had to be dropped. I am here to report that it does not have to be dropped. My mechanic said when he worked at a dealership they did this type of repair without dropping anything but the dealership would charge for it anyway. Surprise.
It is a pain to get to though. HAve to remove manifold, coolant pipes and mounting bracket at back of engine.

Eric

Quick Reply: My plastic coolant pipes are aluminum...