Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers for Cayenne

Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Coilovers for Cayenne

I'm contemplating getting coilovers for my 09 Cayenne (non-air suspension). My goal is to lower the car but maintain the suspension overall dampening characteristics. I understand the lowering springs may be a less expensive option, but my search indicates that it can result in a more underdamped set up. Besides, the maximum lowered ride height is about 1.6"; I'm hoping for 2"-3". Therefore, I'm investigating coilovers. So far, I'm aware of KW coilovers and some other questionable ones off ebay, in which I'm not interested. Are there other good ones at lower price points than the KW? Does anybody here have experience with the BC Racing coilovers?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with that, but my advice is to leave it alone.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

I can understand the leave it alone advice, but I have a couple of reasons for looking into it i.e. handling improvement as my only street car (may sell my other street sporty car) and easier ingress/egress for elderly/family.

So, does anybody here have experience with coilovers?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 AM
CayenneS2008
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered BC Coil overs for CS 2008 steel spring, from last call racing, they gave me the phone number to BC Tech Dept (1-321-206-6381 please don't call or lollygag them unless your buying!).. from there I talked to a cool knowledgeable technician who drives a SUV (X5) with BC coilovers

My main concern came from my wife (who drives a E46 M3) when she got behind the wheel of the 2008 Cayenne S (steel spring / not air ) with 20' technos 275/45/20....and said "do something about it" ! ...when we are on South Florida i95 and climbing traffic this vehicle is less that a M3! (by a long shot!...in her view, safety a concern with all the heft!)

Ok explaining to the BC Coilover Technician of our driving style, he pulled them out of shipping (cool) and ordered the spring rates to be increased to 1000 front (up from 900lb), and rear up too, this would give a more stable grounded ride.
I think this is a wise move since I am going to lower it 3 inches over stock and don't want dampening to be my last resort before bottoming out to the stops. I think spring rate and dampening should work together rather than one dominate the other.

BC see's the spring rates should be firmer (with the CSV8 @ 5100lbs) rather than increasing dampening to shadow a softer spring...sounds right to me, considering some other posters on the net ordered stock spring rates and got bouncy front ends at 15 dampening setting...and had to dampening to 12-13 to reduce travel of the coilover from a softer stock issue spring, so call BC before you ship

All this being said I was pleased to reach BC talk to a driver of the coilovers, who I explained my driving style...which is aggressive, but want my soda in my cup!
BC said this would be perfect fit with 25-30% stronger spring rate, thus if you wanted to go on a long road trip you could back off the dampening to get a softer ride.

So I am getting custom tailored coilovers for my CS 2008 AWESOME!!!

I intend on a GTS front sway and will report on the end result...

This is my first performance upgrade and feel its the most important over a transmission chip for better gear selection!, cats, intake, chip, throttle etc

PS: ...And if I have to go under the vehicle to turn a nut to alter a dampening setting...so be it, over $3k more money, for the other brand!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very interested to hear the outcome and your experience with this setup.

There was a pretty long thread over on the club touareg site on this setup.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...tdi-50095.html

Travis
'04 CS 153K miles - may need suspension soon!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Thanks for providing more info on BC. I don't like that the damper adjustment is labor-intensive, as I'd like to adjust depending on road conditions and cargo/tow load.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:49 AM
stormin48061
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would like to follow you on this ... i've been thinking on and off about lowering mine as well and came to the same conclusion of coilovers vs springs. thanks for the post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coilovers for Cayenne