Sponsored by:

CD Changer Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Morning Update:

Tapping, banging and reaching so far have accomplished naught. I did some Googling last night and found this: http://porkers.co.uk/topic.asp?t=710471&f=48&h=11 as well as a vendor on eBay who says take the unit out and send it in with money and we'll fix it but do not attempt to remove a stuck magazine by yourself.

Since nothing happens when I push the eject button on the changer I am presently inclined to believe there is no power going to it......could it be sending the messages described in post #15 above if it isn't getting power?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt it's a power issue. I don't believe it will try to eject if it doesn't think there is a magazine loaded.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
rbaron
Racer

Update: I was at the local dealership last week for another reason but bumped into the tech who has worked on my car(s) for many years. I described the problem and he said he is unaware of any quick eject button or fix; he has over the years seen some of these cd changers 'go bad' and they need to be removed and disassembled to get the stuck cartridge out.

I guess that will have to go on the list for my 60,000 mile service which will probably be in another month or so.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Mine does this every once and a while. You need to remove the changer and pull both the plugs and then reinstall and let the system reboot. I have mine mounted in there only using one screw on the right accessible side of the wheel well so removal can be easy, it is very solid in there even though it is only the one screw. Looks like you will need to remove all the trim to get to the brackets and to remove the changer. For the future, you can cut a small notch in the trim panel to slide the changer in and out. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have my original (Porsche) CD Changer in my spare parts in the garage (I installed the mObridge ipod unit) and last w/e got it out and looked for any type of "hdwr eject" button but didn't find one. Would be happy to take photos of the unit if that would help but it sounds like you may need to dis-assemble yours to get it out anyway.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I have my original (Porsche) CD Changer in my spare parts in the garage (I installed the mObridge ipod unit) and last w/e got it out and looked for any type of "hdwr eject" button but didn't find one. Would be happy to take photos of the unit if that would help but it sounds like you may need to dis-assemble yours to get it out anyway.
Thanks, Bill, I appreciate your taking the time to look and report. I'll be taking mine in for the 60,000 mile service in about a month and I'll have the tech remove it (better his busted knuckles than mine) and I'll report back with the results for the benefit of future generations.

I'll also talk to him about making future removal(s) easier. That is a good idea and I appreciate it too.

--Bob
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Raybonj
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill
Do yo have an extra CD cartridge in your garage for a CDC4, I have a 2004 Porsche Cayenne S. Or do yo know where I might get one.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 PM
rbaron
Racer

Update: When I took it in for the 60,000 mile service I was told they'd have to remove a lot of the trim to even get at the cd changer and the labor charge was likely going to be more than I wanted to invest so I took it off that list and decided to try it myself at home by cutting a notch in the trim as suggested elsewhere in this and other threads.

It turned out I didn't have what it takes to easily do that, so I re-thought the issue and decided to start back at square one: check for a blown fuse.

How embarrassing.

You can't really tell if these fuses are blown by looking at them (at least I can't) and all I had on hand were 7.5A fuses (the original is 5A) but I replaced it and viola, the cd changer started making noises when I pushed the eject button on it. After a little careful jiggling I got the cartridge to eject and discovered two of the six cds to be cracked/broken. I have no idea when/how that happened, but as they say, all's well that ends.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:04 PM
Anders Flodin
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I had the same problem

Originally Posted by rbaron
Update: When I took it in for the 60,000 mile service I was told they'd have to remove a lot of the trim to even get at the cd changer and the labor charge was likely going to be more than I wanted to invest so I took it off that list and decided to try it myself at home by cutting a notch in the trim as suggested elsewhere in this and other threads.

It turned out I didn't have what it takes to easily do that, so I re-thought the issue and decided to start back at square one: check for a blown fuse.

How embarrassing.

You can't really tell if these fuses are blown by looking at them (at least I can't) and all I had on hand were 7.5A fuses (the original is 5A) but I replaced it and viola, the cd changer started making noises when I pushed the eject button on it. After a little careful jiggling I got the cartridge to eject and discovered two of the six cds to be cracked/broken. I have no idea when/how that happened, but as they say, all's well that ends.

Old thread I know, but maybe someone is reading at some point...For some reason I did not have power to the cd changer, took it out, which involves removing a lot of panels, and measured voltage which was 0. Reading the electrical diagrams in the WSM made me understand that there must be a broken power cable to the cd changer since everything else connected to that 12 volt feed cable works, maybe pinched it under the rear seat or something. It fired up just fine on the work bench with 12V going to it and I could eject the cartridge. Going with Bluetooth so I will not put it back, just needs a loopback adapter for the optical cable that used to attach to cd changer so the rest of the units work.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:56 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders Flodin
maybe pinched it under the rear seat or something
Did you do the recall?
Old 01-21-2022, 02:10 PM
Anders Flodin
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phatz