Sponsored by:

Yet another aftermarket radio install thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another aftermarket radio install thread

So I am gearing up for an aftermarket radio install on my P!g and here is the plan. Please let me know what you think of it and if you can come up with any suggestions and let me know if I will lose any functionality in the vehicle. I will keep everyone updated from start to finish and how everything goes so hopefully this thread can be used as a guide for anybody else in the future looking to do the same thing.

P!g Make/Model: 2005 Turbo
Current System: Factory Nav PCM with Bose fiber optic interface
New System: Kenwood DNX-6190HD - $575 off epay
SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner - $49.99 from Radio Shack
Dash Kit: Connects2 CT23PO01 Double DIN - $95 off epay
NAV-TV MOST-HUR-955 Kit in order to retain the factory amp/speakers - $650 from Crazy Deals

Total parts w/ amp - $1369.99
Total labor for install - $100

Ok, the install is complete and I must say it turned out amazing. The installer had no problems with any of the equipment in the above list I brought him. The biggest challenge for him was running the USB and the 3.5mm plugs to the center storage compartment. They had to remove the entire center console and drill holes through a couple dividers inside it. Another issue I am running into is connecting my iPhone 5 with this radio via the USB input. Evidently this radio only supports iPhone 4 and earlier, but hopefully they will come out with a firmware update to allow connection with the iPhone 5. It will still connect via Bluetooth without any issues.

I hope you enjoy the photos. As you can see I managed to get the device to play DVD discs. It comes with a safety function where you have to connect it to your parking brake, making it only operational while the parking brake is engaged. I had a special module installed that tricks the radio into thinking the parking brake is on so that it will play videos any time.... shhhhhh

Thanks for your time and input.

v/r,

Rob
Attached Images      

Last edited by uh60pin; 11-06-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I hope it goes well for you. I upgraded my 996 to a new Kenwood system and I'm very pleased with the results. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to the Cayenne.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:31 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

So I decided to bite the bullet and get the $650 MOST-HUR-955 kit in order to keep the factory amp, I have made the changes above to my original post. It is only an additional $120 from going the after-market amp route and I even save $100 from having to re-wire the vehicle.

One quick question though, with this setup, would I retain all the steering wheel buttons? I have heard that I will still need the SWI-RC adapter and that I will only retain the volume up/down buttons but will lose the mute, scan etc. Any input on this from someone who has experience with this MOST-HUR kit and a Kenwood aftermarket radio?

On a side note, any reason why I should keep the factory Radio? I was planning on selling it in order to help get back some of the investment into the new one.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

No input on this from anybody? Surely someone else has done a similar install...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 PM
dige23
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi uh60pin,

I am in the middle of an install like you are planning. Yes you will keep your steering controls with the MOST-HUR955. I would suggest calling Loi from euro motor speed in largo, fl. I received my Kenwood 9990 and immediately sent him my harness and he soldered it to the HUR setup.

The connections are simple although finding space to stuff the wires can be a bitch.

Email me if you have any questions.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2 things I hate about this car are Bose and MOST.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Wait.. if you are going to go aftermarket then why not go all out and just do an aftermarket amp. You can get much better sound then your factory amp.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
Wait.. if you are going to go aftermarket then why not go all out and just do an aftermarket amp. You can get much better sound then your factory amp.
Really? You think so? I think the factory Bose system in my P!g sounds spectacular. At least compared to the so-called "premium" sound system my XC-90 came with.

Anyways, I go tomorrow to get this upgrade completed, I will post the results for you guys.

Rob
Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Install complete, see original post for photos... enjoy!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Looks great. BTW - this is very similar to the unit I have in my 996. You can change the control lighting to "amber" and it will match the factory lighting in your Cayenne very well.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM
uh60pin
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Looks great. BTW - this is very similar to the unit I have in my 996. You can change the control lighting to "amber" and it will match the factory lighting in your Cayenne very well.
Really! I didn't realize that, I will have to consult the manual and try it out. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM
uh60pin
Track Day

Sure enough, I was able to change the radio button lighting to match the LED lighting on the center console! It actually let me adjust the reds, blues, and greens to come up with an exact match!

Another note on this radio is that it will player dual-layer DVDs. A nice little trick is you can search for your favorite music videos on youtube, and download them with keepvid. Just google keepvid. Then burn them onto disc so you can play them on your new radio!
Old 07-11-2017, 01:16 AM
ViperSteve
Track Day

Any way to keep mog avg,trip info after replacing head unit?
also is the head unit flush mounted or stick out a bit?

Originally Posted by uh60pin
So I am gearing up for an aftermarket radio install on my P!g and here is the plan. Please let me know what you think of it and if you can come up with any suggestions and let me know if I will lose any functionality in the vehicle. I will keep everyone updated from start to finish and how everything goes so hopefully this thread can be used as a guide for anybody else in the future looking to do the same thing.

P!g Make/Model: 2005 Turbo
Current System: Factory Nav PCM with Bose fiber optic interface
New System: Kenwood DNX-6190HD - $575 off epay
SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner - $49.99 from Radio Shack
Dash Kit: Connects2 CT23PO01 Double DIN - $95 off epay
NAV-TV MOST-HUR-955 Kit in order to retain the factory amp/speakers - $650 from Crazy Deals

Total parts w/ amp - $1369.99
Total labor for install - $100

Ok, the install is complete and I must say it turned out amazing. The installer had no problems with any of the equipment in the above list I brought him. The biggest challenge for him was running the USB and the 3.5mm plugs to the center storage compartment. They had to remove the entire center console and drill holes through a couple dividers inside it. Another issue I am running into is connecting my iPhone 5 with this radio via the USB input. Evidently this radio only supports iPhone 4 and earlier, but hopefully they will come out with a firmware update to allow connection with the iPhone 5. It will still connect via Bluetooth without any issues.

I hope you enjoy the photos. As you can see I managed to get the device to play DVD discs. It comes with a safety function where you have to connect it to your parking brake, making it only operational while the parking brake is engaged. I had a special module installed that tricks the radio into thinking the parking brake is on so that it will play videos any time.... shhhhhh

Thanks for your time and input.

v/r,

Rob
Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM
bliksem
Cruisin'

Is that a Broke Back Mountain DVD
Anyway you don't have to buy anything to trick the DVD playback:

Quick Reply: Yet another aftermarket radio install thread