Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability of 08-09 GTS vs. Turbo?...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM
cfmistry
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability of 08-09 GTS vs. Turbo?...

Hi all,

I'm looking for a replacement for my 2002 BMW X5 4.4i and am finding the Cayenne to be the perfect vehicle for me. I've done a little research and am really interested in an 08-09 GTS or Turbo. My main concern is maintenance cost, since the X5 has cost me an arm and, well, both legs. I don't expect the Porsche to be cheap but I'm hoping it's better built than my X5. I can't tell you how many mechanical parts I've replaced in 100k miles. So the Turbo sounds like it's probably not a good choice for me since turbo maintenance (x2) is notoriously expensive. On the other hand the GTS is extremely appealing. 6spd manual (there are quite a few around me in Dallas), sharp looks, nice wheels, and plenty of speed. Ironically both the GTS and Turbo can be had for the same price nowadays, with way more Turbos around. I know the 2009+ are the ones everyone likes due to the PCM upgrade, but because of that the 2008s can be had pretty cheaply. I'm looking around $40k.

Advice?

Thanks,
Cyrus
Old 09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer SA advised turbos burn oil, otherwise no big repair differences were noted. Although if you hold the vehicle a long time - assumedly so if coming from an 02 X5, conventional wisdom holds the turbo will likely require a little more repair on average given it's a higher stressed engine and more parts, sensors, etc.

FWIW, I've had 2 GTSs with a manual tranny in the last 1.5 years - 08 & now 09, and repair items were negligible:
08 for 9 months for the 18-26K mile period - rear hatch glass latch, clutch slave cylinder - Carlsen Porsche tech error caused vehicle fire
09 for 9 months for the 14-22K mile period - ashtray

Get a GTS w/ a 6 spd and you'll be very happy at the improvement over your X5. Even more so if you find one with PDCC.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen really no difference in maintenance or reliability between the 957 GTS and the 957 Turbo. The turbochargers themselves are quite reliable, and the motors are built to handle the power. What it will really come down to is which you want more: an extra 92 horsepower, or a manual transmission.

Quick Reply: Reliability of 08-09 GTS vs. Turbo?...