Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles left on brake pads when the light comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I haven't actually measured them to see if they are still within spec. More than likely they are, I just noticed a lip on them with a quick visual inspection.
That lip seems to pop up pretty fast. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure they are good for another 50K.

just my 2cents...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:15 AM
chrispiec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brake pad warning light came in the other day then wasn't there wen I drive to work! Came on whilst driving home from work and then nothing lastnight or today! Is this a loose wire or is this normal behaviour for the warning light?

Front pads are fine and rears are more worn.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I went several weeks and looked at rotors and pads when removed, had 1/8" or so of pad left. First set of pads went 30,000 miles. Last set went 60,000. I tow boats over mountains and drive fairly aggressively but have used tranny more in the last several years. Once my sensor came on it stayed on. Wanted to go ceremic pads but Indy mechanic could not get them from normal suppliers. In Seattle in the future they are going to try and require ceremic so the copper from the pads doesn't end up in the storm drains and ultimately in Puget Sound
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Canyonn
Track Day

My local OPC, told me that it is increasing common that rear pads and rotors can wear out faster than the fronts, especially if you do a lot of mountain and hill stop start. The rear brakes are always activated to stop you from rolling back on a hill. ( I actually like this feature ) So the brakes at the rear actually are working more as they gradually release to take the weight of the car when moving off.
Btw does anyone get the rotors resurfaced?, the lip on them both front and rear seems to be around 1 mm...always wondered why the pad can't be exactly the same as the disc to eliminate this???
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM
chrispiec
Intermediate

Is it normal that the warning is intermittent though? I have just driven home from work thought the city and it didn't trigger! I was doing a lot of start stop driving so a lot of braking involved!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispiec
Is it normal that the warning is intermittent though? I have just driven home from work thought the city and it didn't trigger! I was doing a lot of start stop driving so a lot of braking involved!
I have not yet had it pop up on mine (they're getting low though) but I would think that once it gets to the wear sensor the light would stay on until you replace it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Once the sensor is activated from brake wear, it will be activated every time you use the brakes and it will stay on until you turn the engine off. Once you restart the car, the light will not be activated until you use the brakes again.

FWIW, I drove about 1,500 more miles on mine before I replaced the rear pads, sensors and rotors. They were worn, but I could have probably driven a few hundred more miles. Also, this is my second set of rear brakes and I'm on my third set of front brakes.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispiec
Hi Chris. The warning light can be intermittent initially - That is, it doesn't always come on when you restart the car or even press the brake pedal, but initially only. This seems odd, but it's a fact. It will become more permanent very, very soon. It will still re-set when you turn off the car, but will come back on almost striaght away as the brake pedal is pressed.

This is what happened to my Cayenne. I thought it must have been a loose or moist sensor connection to be intermittant, but the warning then became permanent.

BTW, I drove for 6,000km with the light on, and there was still heaps of pad left!! I will post a pic if I get around to it. Also, it seems that when the rotors get lipped, they tend to groove the sensors (and trigger a warning) much earlier. Have a good look at your pads to see how much pad you have left.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 PM
chrispiec
Intermediate

Thanks Orantes,

That's the info I was looking for! The front look like new but the rears are looking low! Ill order up the pads and new sensors soon so I have em ready for when pads are almost done. Should be good for another month at least I should think!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
chrispiec
Intermediate

Brake pad warning hasn't come back on since Thursday!?! Bizarre!!! Can a diagnostic check which sensor it is?

Quick Reply: How many miles left on brake pads when the light comes on?