Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo lag - CayenneD vs. BMW X5d

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another poster on another thread, said that the Cayenne V8 diesel had been announced by the Belgium dealer. i couldn't find any details. I think it's going to Euro only for some time.
Same as a higer spec petrol V6 is also available in China, maybe with supercharger like the hybrid

I also believe the slow take up of euro diesels in the US of A is due to most needing low sulfar diesel, that until now has not been available in the states.

The turbo diesel is easily chipped for more torque, with many such vendors in Europe.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as an explanation, it's the emission regulations in US (NOx etc.) that prohibit the companies from introducing the higher end Diesels to US. Porsche will have the V8 (from Audi) available in most of the world but not US. That's why US also does not get the start-stop system in the Cayenne Diesel. Yes, the it safes fuel but emissions of some gases like NOx go up due to the frequent start processes. As an estimate you can look at the European emission classifications. EU5 would not come to US, EU6 might. The Cayenne Diesel is EU5 with start stop, so Porsche got rid of it and seems to be able to match the regulations.
On another comment, the BMW X5d in US still uses the old engine and also 6-step transmission. Same reason, too expensive to invest in research on how to meet the regulations for a car that will disappear in a year and anyhow sells. The new model will get the 8-step transmission (I guess it will be a 2014 model).
Europe will also get the new Range Rover Sport which really looks nice later this year, but I assume not Diesel for US.
Actually, I just picked up my Cayenne Diesel this weekend and have to say that power is good enough for American Roads. Mostly you will reach the speed limit and slightly above faster than you want and you will not even feel it.
Design wise, I have to say, that my beige interior looks 100 times nicer than the X5. I have been driving BMW in the past and liked it a lot, but this is just one step further.
More in the other thread about the CD.

Quick Reply: Turbo lag - CayenneD vs. BMW X5d