2009 Cayenne GTS (colors)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2009 Cayenne GTS (colors)

As some of you may know, I've been researching SUVs and have decided to stick with the brand that most of us have been gaga for since teenagers.

I've narrowed the Cayenne choice to an '09 GTS as I watch my budget creep up and up, while realizing that I don't want to give up that stupid smile that I get while piloting a 911

Convincing the SWMBO unit has been relatively easy (a keeper no doubt...perhaps an enabler as well but I digress and she will also get to drive this beast so who knows what her motivations are!), and I've decided on the options that are required and nice-to-haves; now I need to narrow down the color choices.

To that end, I've eliminated red only because I don't need a CHP magnet. I've also eliminated any shade of brown.

I'd like to focus on (in no particular order...that is where you come in!) the following:

Black
Crystal Silver Metallic
Marine Blue Metallic
Meteor Grey Metallic
Olive Green Metallic
Sand White

Desirable interior colors include:

Black
Stone Grey

I've located the perfectly optioned one-owner CPO vehicle which is dressed in Olive Green and while that color wasn't on my original preferred list, it now is because it is growing on me BUT I haven't seen it up close and personal.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone that knows of this color can provide some guidance (yup, I understand that is subjective): does it enhance or diminishe the GTS's look?

I'd also like y'all to sell me on one color or another. FWIW the little lady likes Marine Blue a lot but of all the colors, that bird seems to be rare.

Thanks in advance for humoring me and sharing your thoughts. Getting excited that I'll soon join the Pig Pen!!!

Cheers,
David
Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My opinion only, but I never cared for Olive Green in person. It's not at all exciting. GTS Red was one of my favorite colours, but if you're trying to avoid red, I'd lean toward black, white, or blue. They look decent in orange, but I suspect that would stand out to CHP a lot more than GTS Red.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

David, colors are very personal. I'm on my 3rd black vehicle even though I swear every time I buy one that I'd never buy another, only because of the maintenance involved in keeping a black car clean and scratch-free.

I agree with you that the $3000 optioned red & orange are colors that quickly lose their flair after a few years.

I personally would not buy a green GTS. I find that it's a color that really lacks substance or flair for a GTS.

Silver is typically German and shows racing heritage. It also matches your Targa.

If I was to buy another GTS today, it would definitely be either the Marine Blue, the Sand White and most definitely, the Meteor Grey. These three colors look great with the 21" silver rims and bright red calipers.

Then again, color is a personal choice and truly reflects a person's individuality.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like it in Red, but it will attract way to much attention.

Mine was Meteor Grey, which had a lot of sparkle and hid the dirt really well. None of the Soccer Moms seem to have that color either.......

Note - this pic is with the 18" wheels. Were I to do it again, I would have run bigger AT tires, most likely 265/60-18 Yoko ATS. At the time it was not known if they would fit, but has since been confirmed.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM
425cayenne
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a '09 GTS about 2 months to the day, its silver met. w/ black alc. interior. no complaints and tons of complements from ppl that see the car. When i was looking i did the same as you did, created a list of colors i was ok with and then found the car that was the best value (ie/ low mileage, cpo, options i must have) within those 3 color choices.

Enjoy your new GTS when you get it.

-J-
Old 08-29-2012, 04:38 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

I have the Red and it's gorgeous - a deep red, not at all like guards red. Before ruling it out, take a look at one in person. Pics below do not do it justice.

2nd choice is Marine Blue - I've seen one at school drop off and that would the next best choice, IMO.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks all for the replies!

I was a day late for a marine blue GTS that was for sale in Louisville (I hope that the buyer is hanging out here so I can give a hard time!

I'm going to pass on olive green because I too have my doubts and can't find one to look at in the Bay Area.

So, I'll focus on the following with blue at the top of the list but if the right SUV in any of the other colors drops out of the sky, I will jump a bit quicker:

Marine Blue Metallic
Crystal Silver Metallic
Meteor Grey Metallic
Sand White

One other question: I may be able to increase my budget: are there any differences between the 2009 and 2010 models???

Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Andy E.
David, colors are very personal. I'm on my 3rd black vehicle even though I swear every time I buy one that I'd never buy another, only because of the maintenance involved in keeping a black car clean and scratch-free.

I agree with you that the $3000 optioned red & orange are colors that quickly lose their flair after a few years.

I personally would not buy a green GTS. I find that it's a color that really lacks substance or flair for a GTS.

Silver is typically German and shows racing heritage. It also matches your Targa.

If I was to buy another GTS today, it would definitely be either the Marine Blue, the Sand White and most definitely, the Meteor Grey. These three colors look great with the 21" silver rims and bright red calipers.

Then again, color is a personal choice and truly reflects a person's individuality.
Andy, I like the way that you think: matching silver P-cars would be great but I feel like mixing it up. I too love black vehicles and the GTS looks nasty mean but I'm a lazy SOB and **** so I know that I'd be spending a bunch of time keeping it clean and (gasp) keeping it off of the dirt.

BTW, your 928S4 beast must be a special ride! Care to share a pic?!?!?!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bgsntth
I really like it in Red, but it will attract way to much attention.

Mine was Meteor Grey, which had a lot of sparkle and hid the dirt really well. None of the Soccer Moms seem to have that color either.......

Note - this pic is with the 18" wheels. Were I to do it again, I would have run bigger AT tires, most likely 265/60-18 Yoko ATS. At the time it was not known if they would fit, but has since been confirmed.
Very unsure why that beauty couldn't handle the commute to Oakland?!?!?!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 425cayenne
I bought a '09 GTS about 2 months to the day, its silver met. w/ black alc. interior. no complaints and tons of complements from ppl that see the car. When i was looking i did the same as you did, created a list of colors i was ok with and then found the car that was the best value (ie/ low mileage, cpo, options i must have) within those 3 color choices.

Enjoy your new GTS when you get it.

-J-
Congrats on the new ride!!! Kinda biased toward silver met with black myself.

use your GTS in the best of health and with the stupid smile firmly planted on your face!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 AM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Good luck in your hunt, your timing is good with lease returns. Also, I don't believe there is a difference btwn '09 & '10.

6 spd or Auto? Naturally I'd highly recommend a 6 spd for the felling of being so much more involved in the driving expereince. Try one if it's under consideration, I think you'll be surprised. And if you can't locate one locally to evaluate, send me an email and we'll find a time to meet up for a drive.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GTS 6 spd
Good luck in your hunt, your timing is good with lease returns. Also, I don't believe there is a difference btwn '09 & '10.

6 spd or Auto? Naturally I'd highly recommend a 6 spd for the felling of being so much more involved in the driving expereince. Try one if it's under consideration, I think you'll be surprised. And if you can't locate one locally to evaluate, send me an email and we'll find a time to meet up for a drive.
I'm leaning towards the tip although if the right manual appears I'll consider it. I'll raise my hand if I need to take you up on sampling the 6 speed! What part of the area are you located?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by david
BTW, your 928S4 beast must be a special ride! Care to share a pic?!?!?!
Most certainly! My 928 was recently used for an upcoming film production called "Road Legends" which focused on early front-engined Porsches. Here's a few pics together with the show hosts. She's got 42K on the clock.
Attached Images   
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Most certainly! My 928 was recently used for an upcoming film production called "Road Legends" which focused on early front-engined Porsches. Here's a few pics together with the show hosts. She's got 42K on the clock.
Very nice...thanks for sharing!!! If I could have one of each Porsche model, your baby would fill out the 928 slot just perfectly! Gotta enjoy the growl when those suckers are opened up.

I remember a run through the Sierra a while back over Tioga Pass. I was in my SC and a friend was in his 928. On the long straights he was able to eat me up and man, the 928 in the rear view is something else...looks like a shark that is just about ready to swallow some prey. (But when the road got a bit twisty, the SC was able to put a few feet between me and that beast!)

Truth be told: when I got to drive the 928 on that drive, I was scared to engage 4th gear! I thought that I was going to take a leap off the planet...3rd gear on that road was just perfect.

Ironically, I saw a green Cayenne (base) this AM on my bike ride. I too was not wowed...even in the morning light it did not react with sunlight like I would have expected from a metallic paint from Porsche. One of the things I like about my 911's metallic silver is that it looks like another color in many dawn/dusk lighting.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Manual was a joy in everything but stop and go traffic, as the clutch is relatively heavy and it is geared so low that you do a lot of shifting from 0-25mph. I usually never shifted into First unless I came to a dead stop, but on the I80 this happened about 50+ times between downtown Oakland and the 580 - got "old" quick. The hill-holder does work fabulously, however, and off-road the Manual, 4:10 axle, PDCC, PASM, Air, and low gearing were fun; albeit, no rock crawling with all of those dangley bits..

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne GTS (colors)