Sponsored by:

Cayenne GTS fire update - Carlsen Porsche tech error

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne GTS fire update - Carlsen Porsche tech error

I've been waiting to post this since April when 3 fire experts - Porsche's , my insurance and Carlsen's insurance, all determined that Carlsen's tech mistakenly moved a wiring harness when they replaced the slave cylinder in GTS#1.

In the interim I've contacted the service manager numerous times asking for some compensation for the loss of trust in Carlsen's techs. And earlier this month I finally got my deductible back on my homeowner's policy for the seared garage door, but only 85%, so now I'm out $750.

I called again today and got the message they are not willing to do anything to make me whole in dollars, $750, nor in relationship value - free service for some period of time, etc.

Mooty was spot on - Carlsen has to be one of the worst dealerships in the country.

Astounding that they are not even willing to acknowldege they have some responsibility to a customer. Too bad for them, as I also own an Audi S4 and they also have an Audi dealership about 15 minutes from my house.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A call to PCNA's Customer Service in Atlanta is required in a case like this. They will contact the dealer and force them to make good in this matter; in one way or another. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I am sorry that it happened and for the trouble.

On the other hand, $750 is quite small compared to what it might have been. It is probably worth that to KNOW not to do any business of any kind with them. But I agree with calling Porsche and getting their involvement, although it may not do any good either.

There is always the lawyer route, but I avoid it, and I dont recommend it either. Certainly not for the amount disputed here.

Stinks. But it could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Edward 96 Viper GTS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was car totalled by ins co?
Ed
Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What did he hook it to, the brake fluid reservoir??
Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 AM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Thanks for the PCNA reference, that is my first course of action.

Yes car was totalled. Now on GTS 6 spd #2, love these things.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That will buff right out.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by Divot
That will buff right out.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't believe there is any claim for relationship value; just don't use them again, and your info is very helpful to us regarding where we want to have our vehicles serviced. Fortunately in the Bay Area, there are plenty of Porsche dealers to choose from. Personally, I use both Stevens Creek and Fremont -- have good experiences at both.

Regarding the $750, I believe you have a very good claim in Small Claims Court -- if you have the time. Most likely, you will get a check in the mail after you file a claim. I'd go for it.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:50 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Glad to hear you'll go elsewhere. I'm happy to have provided this insight into Carlsen's management team and their view on retaining customers.

And, yes, I fully expect to be made whole once I file a claim. Just amazed at the cavalier attitude. The service manager quoted the GM as: "the relationship is probably irreprarbly damaged." It was recoverable, but not anymore thanks to the GM's fine example of self fulfilling logic.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS 6 spd
Glad to hear you'll go elsewhere. I'm happy to have provided this insight into Carlsen's management team and their view on retaining customers.

And, yes, I fully expect to be made whole once I file a claim. Just amazed at the cavalier attitude. The service manager quoted the GM as: "the relationship is probably irreprarbly damaged." It was recoverable, but not anymore thanks to the GM's fine example of self fulfilling logic.
Foolish GM.

It wasn't just ONE relationship.

Potentially, it was ALL of us here and then the others we talk to, and that they talk to, etc., etc., etc.

Coming from a family of family business people, I'm going to guess that the dealership is not the GM's business and that he is only responsible for the P&L numbers every month.

I'd talk to the man or woman who ultimately has their money, their personal residence as collateral with the bank, their name on the loans, etc. before I called it quits.

If the owner calls the tune, the GM will start dancing.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 08-29-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

First, always nice to see Johnny's avatar make an appearance.....

Personally don't see a claim for "loss of trust", mistakes happen. However I do see a valid claim for your deductible on the garage door, I would most definitely be going after that.

Best of luck to you with the new GTS.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I'm surprised that the dealers insurance did not pay you -- did you submit a claim to them?

Your own insurance company should have contacted them if it was determined that it was the dealers fault.

You auto insurance should have paid under the liability to your homeowners and then gone after everybody.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:15 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
A call to PCNA's Customer Service in Atlanta is required in a case like this. They will contact the dealer and force them to make good in this matter; in one way or another. Good luck.
PCNA was useless in my matter, and it was just with wheels. I hope they help you out, but they seem to favor their dealerships over customer service. The operators that you speak to also seem very inexperienced and they never escalated it to a more senior person. Oh well it was only a wheel issue, not a total loss.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS 6 spd
I've been waiting to post this since April when 3 fire experts - Porsche's , my insurance and Carlsen's insurance, all determined that Carlsen's tech mistakenly moved a wiring harness when they replaced the slave cylinder in GTS#1.

In the interim I've contacted the service manager numerous times asking for some compensation for the loss of trust in Carlsen's techs. And earlier this month I finally got my deductible back on my homeowner's policy for the seared garage door, but only 85%, so now I'm out $750.

I called again today and got the message they are not willing to do anything to make me whole in dollars, $750, nor in relationship value - free service for some period of time, etc.

Mooty was spot on - Carlsen has to be one of the worst dealerships in the country.

Astounding that they are not even willing to acknowldege they have some responsibility to a customer. Too bad for them, as I also own an Audi S4 and they also have an Audi dealership about 15 minutes from my house.
mooty is RARELY wrong.
almost never.
for $750, if i was the dealer, i would payout even if it was not the shop's mistake. OMG, for $750 is it worth it to ruin their reputation....

u might want to talk to charlie the owner. he usually is "shielded" from these issues. if you know what i mean.

btw, i also had S4, A6 some such and carlsen audi is a LOT worse than carlsen porsche. IMAGINE THAT.

fletcher jones (gunter) and michael stead (eric), no fuss no muss, no bs.

Quick Reply: Cayenne GTS fire update - Carlsen Porsche tech error