2013 Cayenne V6 manual, Finally

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 PM
bucksbud
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Cayenne V6 manual, Finally

Hello to all,

Finally, after a very long wait I will be taking delivery of a 2013 Cayenne V6 manual. Been a very long process however, car is in port and I await delivery. Coming from a 08 535xit manual, and wanted another manual similar to current drive. Daily driver all around town, so really was not looking to chase a huge amount of speed. Was able to drive a V6 in both step and manual along with the CS. Manual won out. Don't really want a computer controlling my transmission when Im capable and enjoy it too much.

Dealers were willing to move their floor stock which was very stripped down. I really wanted options. Placed an order 11/11. Given a Jan. 24th build date. Waiting and waiting, still in production, and US only gets four allocations of manual each month. So production stayed in que. 2013 models hit and I was in. Now have a vin, car is transported and dealer is waiting for delivery. Wanted to share my build.

2013 Cayenne V6 manual
Jet Green Metallic
PASM, AIR and PDCC
Prem. Package Plus
Burm
Satellite and HD
Two tone full leather Umber/Lt. Tartuffo
4 zone climate
Heated Windshield
No rim upgrades, not my thing
Pano
Matching leather key holder

Can't wait. Thinking this truck will handle well.

Couple of questions,

Was considering 15mm wheel spacers all around. How is tire wear with spacers?
Also, coming from the twin turbo Bimmer, which I love and had every problem with and still loved, am I going to miss anything with the naturally aspired V6? Torque and HP are dead on for each. Just been some time with these turbos.

You all are great and I have read extensively all your comments and reviews. Looking forward to a great break in and some additional thoughts to share.

Anyone know of any good detailers in the Bucks County, PA area?

Bernie
Old 08-07-2012, 08:25 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Nice build..probably one of the sweetest V6s put together
As far as missing something..you tell us
Would like to see some pics..and something tells me you would not mind either
Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 AM
MadCayenne
Cruisin'

Wow, nice options. A stick V6 with all the sporting extras. I'm envious, wish it was easier to find Manual Cayennes with PASM, AIR and PDCC. Alas, that is not the case. Having fun breaking in my Cayenne with <3500miles. Notchiness on the shifter somewhat annoying but it seems to be disappearing as I continue to drive it and I get used to the vehicle. Definitely harder to row than my brother's Cayman S which he so kindly let me borrow for a few days...
Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Bakes
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my 12 V6 Manual in 12/11 and took delivery 3/31/12. They said they had two other people come in and order manuals shortly after I did. They never mentioned anything about a limit for allocations for manuals. Strange that I ordered mine after you and recieved it well before. I'm even in the same state as you.

Enjoy your new ride. It will definitely be worth the wait. I love mine.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one rare V6. I don't think I've yet seen a green Cayenne on the street yet, every one I see on the street is either black or white. And I doubt many V6 have all those options you have.

I wished I had a chance to test drive a manual when I bought mine. My test drive was done at a Porsche event on a track and all they had was tip.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Bernie,
Nice build!
I saw the green on the showroom floor about 2 weeks after we got our blue V-6. I liked the look, but glad my wife didn't see it, since she would like it and we would have to get another Cayenne. Hard life eh?
Maybe I can get her into a Macan when they come out

You will really appreciate the options you've selected!
I know I do when I drive our Cayenne. 46,000 km and over 500 hours so far, and loving every minute of it!!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 PM
bucksbud
AutoX

Thanks for the comments on my build. I really wanted to enhance the handling and enjoy some interior comforts. I only wish that I did not have to wait for this long. It was the dealers line regarding the allocations. I did try to source another vehicle between all the dealers in PA and NJ. No movement. Test drove other vehicles, and then resigned to waiting for the vehicle I wanted exactly the way I wanted it. I'm stoked about the Jet Green Metallic, change from my usual black or blue. With all the handling goodies what I'm really can't wait for is the Burm sound system and the manual! Any day now!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Bakes
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to love it. The shifter is a little notchy at first, but breaks in after about 2K miles. I came from an Audi A4 2.0T (APR Tune) and the difference in acceleration between that and the Cayenne is negligible. Not sure which is faster. One thing that I prefer with the naturaly asperated vs the turbo is that the NA winds up much faster. The turbo had that lag that everyone talks about, and it was especially noticable when reving up to double-clutch downshift. The revs come up much faster compared to my turbo, which you sort of had to wait for before putting it in to the lower gear. It winds up even faster when you have sport mode engaged.

With the PTV it goes around corners better than the A4 did, with its oversteer prone AWD. Also the Cayenne is a lot more stable at high speed. The A4 started to feel scary over 95MPH and the Cayenne is rock solid at 120MPH. Although its an SUV, its still a Porsche first. I find the sound of the V6 to be very similar to that of the flat six in the 911s. Mostly when you start it up or when its revving high, not so much at low revs. I was expecting it to be similar to the Audi VR6 in character, but its not. Not as floaty and lofty, but more raw and aggressive.

I dont have the Air or PDCC, but I have the PASM and PTV and definitely recommend them to anyone wondering whether or not they should get them. They definitly make a noticeable difference IMO. I imagine the same can be said for the PDCC.

Enjoy.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

that is a nice build. i have seen that leather option & i love it but never seen the exterior colour.

don't know why more don't go for PASM & full leather - 10% of the total build which means those who didn't order still paid 90% of what you did and they miss out on the leather every single time they get in their car.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 AM
bucksbud
AutoX

Updates!!!!!!!

I was so naive when starting this post. How nuts was I to think delivery would be around the corner. I guess my excitement got the best of me.

So, today at 10:30 I'm actually picking this Cayenne up at dealership. I will post a few photos as unless there are pictures it does not exist, right?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:14 AM
bucksbud
AutoX

Wish my luck, 1.5 years!!! I guess I was locked into the build as it has not changed from the original order. So glad to be dumping the bimmer...done with them for a long time I hope. Kind of bland at this point until I drive away. Hope the ownership experience far outshines the order process. Next time I buy off the lot! Ok, 1 hour and 15 minutes! See you all out on the road!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats and look forward to seeing some pictures
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,606 Posts

What the hell took so long?!?!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

wtf, 1.5years? It's a cayenne, not some überexpensive-one-of-20-supersport...

wish I had your patience, man and congrats on a new car!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
What the hell took so long?!?!
The 6 speed. As stated in the original post there are very few coming into the states. Which dealer you buy from also can impact when your build slot is as they either might be late in line for the allocation or could have traded it away to another dealer. I started looking at Cayennes in 4/12 and was specifically looking at the V6 w/6MT and was told then that it would likely be this summer before I got a build slot. Luckily while I kept fretting over it the Diesel came out and that solved the problem

bucksbud, congrats on (hopefully) finally getting it. Sounds like a nice machine. As far as your FI vs NA question, BMW has been building really good turbo engines for awhile now (as far as how they act) so I daresay that you might not notice much difference in how the engine responds. What you are likely to notice is the impact of the increased weight for the similar hp/tq ratings. The biggest issue is that if you decide you want more power out of it, squeezing it out of a NA engine is much more expensive than some of the cheap tuner mods you can do to turbo cars.

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne V6 manual, Finally