Sponsored by:

2013: Stereo w/o Nav question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:56 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2013: Stereo w/o Nav question

Does anyone have either the base CDR or Bose stereo without the Nav system?

I'm looking at ordering a Diesel, but don't want (and refuse to pay for) the Nav system. What I can gather, however, is that without Nav there is no AUX or USB interface (at least until the optional CDR Plus is available). Is this really true? If I don't get the Nav system is there really no way for me to connect my phone or iPod up to it for music?

Thanks,
-dave
Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

$700 for parts yes
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

CDR isnt bad, has bluetooth and aux(3.5mm miniplug) but no USB... also the bluetooth does NOT do audio over bluetooth unless you get bose (PCM without nav)

i burned a CDR w/ Mp3 and had 10+ cd's on one in the CDR.

PCM unit plays DVD-R so can put 80+ cd's on one... but then again it has USB so can use ipod.... but like i said no usb, no audio via bluetooth unless it's a pcm unit (bose/burmeister/nav)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious what you have against navigation? I'm actually the other way around. After 4+ years of Nav in my Mercedes and my Touareg, I think it's handier than a pocket on a shirt - especially the Sirius traffic link. I'm looking forward to #3 when I pick up my new Cayenne next month.

//greg//
Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I didnt include PCM in my GTS order, theres no use for the NAV because our maps are not homologated by Porsche so it wont work. Just the PCM is over $6k, so in my case its very hard to swallow just for an USB input.
Are there any aftermarket interfaces in order to have ipod or USB capabilty?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mudman2
$700 for parts yes
Originally Posted by rijowysock
CDR isnt bad, has bluetooth and aux(3.5mm miniplug) but no USB... also the bluetooth does NOT do audio over bluetooth unless you get bose (PCM without nav)
So does it have an AUX port of some sort or not? Ideally I'd like USB, but I can live with just AUX-in.

It feels silly to say it, but being stuck with just CDs without modifying it immediately is a deal killer for me. There is a big difference in modifying a $25k car out of the box and a $65k one, even if I do hope to keep it just as long. Paying this much it's got to be something I'll be happy with, because I can spend a lot less on something that is going to irritate me or outright **** me off every time I get into it.

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Just curious what you have against navigation? I'm actually the other way around.
In the case of PCM, it's the cost first and foremost. We've already bought a spec'd out 996 years ago and this is replacing my old Escape so I am trying to keep the price some what under control. I have a target price that already means I'm not getting some things I'd like to have, so I'm certainly not kicking out anything (most really for what PCM costs) on the "must have" list to get support for a feature Porsche should have really built into the base system by getting something I don't want.

In general, however, I just don't like it. I am of the "know (at least generally) where you are going before you leave" camp. I also think most of the units (though I will admit I like how the Cayenne will show a small map in the cluster) are a distraction to actually driving. All the people I know that have Nav systems (built-in or Garmin type units) and use them regularly, complain about them (don't like the voice, tells them to turn too early, tells them to turn to late, doesn't have their destination in the system, etc..). And finally, I have a phone that has mapping and direction capability built-in and free if I really need it.

One of the things I love about Porsche is they still let you get exactly what you want on their cars rather than saddling you with crap you don't want just to get the one item you do want.

-dave
Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Galion
I didnt include PCM in my GTS order, theres no use for the NAV because our maps are not homologated by Porsche so it wont work. Just the PCM is over $6k, so in my case its very hard to swallow just for an USB input.
When is your build date? According to the Porsche USA site a new CDR Plus option will be available on 11/2012 builds that includes USB, album art, and device control. Don't know if that applies to your region too, but if you can wait a few extra months that might be an option for me.

The site does say it will be Optional though so some cost will be associated to it which is why I doubt it will be something for me since I have a hard price I'm trying to stay under.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by gnat
When is your build date? According to the Porsche USA site a new CDR Plus option will be available on 11/2012 builds that includes USB, album art, and device control. Don't know if that applies to your region too, but if you can wait a few extra months that might be an option for me.

The site does say it will be Optional though so some cost will be associated to it which is why I doubt it will be something for me since I have a hard price I'm trying to stay under.
Thanks for the info, my order just locked, build date is 09/12
No CDR Plus for me, wish I knew that before.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:45 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Six grand? Do you not have the option to order packages? On my 2013, I ordered the Convenience Package, the Premium Package, and the Premium Plus package. Total $10,160. The first $2160 of that is the Convenience Package. It alone contains
  • Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with navigation module,
  • Bi-Xenon (TM) headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS),
  • Driver Memory Package, Heated Seats (front),
  • Moonroof and
  • Auto Dimming Mirrors

//greg//
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Six grand? Do you not have the option to order packages? On my 2013, I ordered the Convenience Package, the Premium Package, and the Premium Plus package. Total $10,160. The first $2160 of that is the Convenience Package. It alone contains
  • Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with navigation module,
  • Bi-Xenon (TM) headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS),
  • Driver Memory Package, Heated Seats (front),
  • Moonroof and
  • Auto Dimming Mirrors

//greg//
The Convenience Package is $5,640 ($2,160 is the BOSE package). Individually the big parts are the PCM ($3,675) and Bi-Xeons ($1,860). Furthermore, the driver memory package is nullified if you get either of the upgraded seat options (don't know if the price changes accordingly). The packages (in the US anyway) don't actually save you any money, just simplify the selection process.

As far as the "$6k" PCM, I think you are also not taking into account that they are listing their location as a different country from you and that region may have entirely different prices.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM
grohgreg
Pro

The Convenience Package is $5,640
No, and I can attest to this because I just bought a 2013:
For $2160 the Convenience package contains
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with navigation module,
Bi-Xenon (TM) headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS),
Driver Memory Package, Heated Seats (front),
Moonroof and
Auto Dimming Mirrors.
For an additional $3480 ($5640 combined) the Premium package includes
the Convenience package plus
Servotronic, Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package,
ParkAssist (front/rear) and
Heated Steering Wheel.
For an additional $4540 ($10180 aggregate) the Premium Plus package contains the
Convenience package plus the
Premium package plus
Lane Change Assist,
Rearview Camera,
Electric roll-up sunscreen for rear side,
Light Comfort Package,
Heated Seats (front/rear) and
Seat Ventilation (front).

I ordered the Bose package as well, it's merely coincidence that the price is the same as the Convenience Package. That $5640 you cite is the Premium package, which includes the Convenience package.

Granted there is likely a geographic pricing difference. Nevertheless, it's a bit difficult to accept that geographic differences would explain the four thousand dollar discrepancy between the PCM price (somewhere) and the Convenience package price listed for American sales.

//greg//
Old 07-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Galion
Pro

No packages offered on any Cayenne in our market. Not completely sure but I think that no packages are avaliable either for the GTS in the USA.
Just FYI my not so loaded GTS retailed for US$160,000 taxes included, not so bad if you compared it with Hong Kong.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTS,no NAV,the Pampa,The Andes...quite an adventure
You getting ready for the Dakar?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by jerry joseph
GTS,no NAV,the Pampa,The Andes...quite an adventure
You getting ready for the Dakar?
Absolutely, in this years edition, I followed the race with some friends driving my 2011 Cayenne S from Argentina to a waypoint in Arica -Chile, in the middle of some extreme desert with giant dunes, I was ready to sell the Cayenne so I gave a damn whatever it takes to reach that WP. Well, this vehicule is a monster even without a low gear box.
I could climb any dune I wanted! I just followed my friends Land Cruiser, I did see a lot of other 4x4 vehicules stucked in the middle of nowhere, from Grand Cherokees to Benzes, it was a fun!

We dont have the Porsche Nav but we do those little Garmin devices.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the people I know that have Nav systems (built-in or Garmin type units) and use them regularly, complain about them (don't like the voice, tells them to turn too early, tells them to turn to late, doesn't have their destination in the system, etc..). And finally, I have a phone that has mapping and direction capability built-in and free if I really need it.

-dave
Need for all 958 owners to chime in. Am I the only one who thinks that NAV is pretty damn great?! Just an FYI, almost 41k on mine and NAV gets used pretty frequently.

Quick Reply: 2013: Stereo w/o Nav question