Sponsored by:

Thinking About Buying 2008 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM
r6bruin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seankrider
But if you want a more interesting exercise to estimate your likelihood of using the warranty, find out how many of the Known Biggies have already reared their heads: Coolant Pipes, Cardan Shafts, coils, coils, coils, valve body, etc. If all of these are done, then a CPO is catastrophic coverage only for you, and a very expensive policy; if none have cycled through yet, then it's a nice pre-paid maintenance plan with a free catastrophic rider included.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I heard some rumors about the 2008 S engine has already revisited the main issues like coolant pipes and coil? Or is the 2008 S engine are basically same as pre-2008 ones just by adding the DFI to it?

Much appreciated if someone can clarifies that
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

I bought an 08 S with about 67K miles at auction over the winter, love it.

1. Would you buy one with 50k miles that is not Porsche Certified? Sure, especially if you know an excellent indy mechanic who'll be caring for it.

2. What are the big issues - if any - I need to look for? For mine, we needed to replace the coolant pipes which were leaking. And we needed to correct sag in the driver door, reshimming it. Oh, and the license place lamps.

3. How do the GPS, Bluetooth and other systems work? Are they upgradeable to get current mapping? Is there an ipod input? With control or only Aux in? Mine doesn't have any of that stuff.

4. What is real world fuel mileage? I drive highway and city evenly and have a pretty heavy foot. You don't buy a Cayenne because you want mileage. You're confusing it with a Prius. Cayennes are thirsty.

5. Do they all have a hitch on the back (maybe hidden by the bumper cover if no visible in pictures)? Is it 2" or 1.25" receiver? Need that for bike rack. Nope, and adding one is technically simple but expensive. I'd buy one that has the equipment you want.

6. How is snow performance with the stock all season tires? What is the standard size wheels on the S? 18"? Awesome in my experience. Mine drove straight up a steep farm road with a lot of fresh snow on it shortly after I picked it up.

7. How expensive are the services and when are the majors due? Can I do the small services myself? I would do all maintenance on my 993 myself, but that was 8 years ago and I have two kids now. Dunno, not especially cheap. I'd have a sit-down with the tech you'll be using to map this stuff out, based on his experience. I suspect you can do most of the routine stuff yourself without any real challenges, but haven't yet done a lot with my own.

8. Would you get a low mileage car (obviously off lease) at Manheim or other auction to save money? That's where I got mine, through Dave Maynard at European Locators. The process and the man are both highly recommended.

9. What else should I know going in with my eyes open? Hit the Sport mode, push the car hard through a twisty road or on-ramp, and you will wet your pants: power and handling are just that impressive. (I've been a PCA and BMWCCA DE instructor for almost 20 years, as a reference point.)

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
2. What are the big issues - if any - I need to look for? For mine, we needed to replace the coolant pipes which were leaking.
So the 08 pipes DO fail.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 AM
VJS
2nd Gear

I bought an 08 S two years ago with 22000 on it. Still under warranty, it needed a thermostat at 24000 and would have cost around 2000 if not still under warranty. I now have 60000 on it and I havent had any problems. Love it and would recommend one to you as long as you know the maintenance history.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
r6bruin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VJS
I bought an 08 S two years ago with 22000 on it. Still under warranty, it needed a thermostat at 24000 and would have cost around 2000 if not still under warranty. I now have 60000 on it and I havent had any problems. Love it and would recommend one to you as long as you know the maintenance history.
$2000 for thermostat change? The labor must be expensive because the parts seems to cost only $81, including thermostat and 3 gaskets...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by r6bruin
$2000 for thermostat change? The labor must be expensive because the parts seems to cost only $81, including thermostat and 3 gaskets...
Wouldn't begin to justify $2,000 for this job but you do need to remove the intake manifold (and all the bits and pieces to remove that) to get to the t-stat housing. New intake manifold gaskets (~$50) would also be needed. I can see $1k at a dealer but $2k is over the top IMHO.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:56 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I have an 08 CTT with 90 K. Only bad failure was coolant pipes; let go in the condo garage and I had to have it towed. I did not get extended insurance coverage even though I had friends and family discount at Barrier and could have gotten it for around $3500. I also had a thermostat failure, in my car it was the housing that had to be replaced that was the driver behind the cost. On both of these issues the dealer worked on my behalf to get Porsche financial support and were very successful
1.I don't buy that kind of insurance. I self insure any smaller stuff.
3. There was no bluetooth or ipod imput. I installed these aftermarket along with Radar detector
4. Real world average is 15. Spend a fair bit of time in town but do get out on the road. Moderately heavy foot but tow 4-5 times a year sometimes for long distances. I have towed max weight over mountains in PNW without any problems. CTT has plenty of guts, but always a little challenge on the downhill side of the mountain, good brakes though. I am about to put second set on at 90K.
6. With the right winter tires it will literally plow snow. Very capable snow car. I have just put all seasons on for first time so we will see. I suspicion they will be fine except in the worst of conditions, which I would plan to avoid hopefully.
7. Barrier as noted above has covered me well. They also asked me to pay $450 for the first service (basically oil change and checkover) and we had a little talk. Their prices have been higher than indy but within reason after our initial discussion.
8. I bought mine new and 5.5 years in I don't regret it at all. Hopefully I get another 5-6 years out of it. No knowledge of auctions. Mixed success with buying used in the past, so that probably influence my decision. I struggeled with paying this much for a car and drove everything in the marketplace before ordering this one. Nothing really compared.
9. The air suspension option with the PDCC is very good. I lowered my slightly and it even improved the accessability and handling. The all leather option inside has contined to perform well and look nice. Porsche is not real great with latches on interior compartments, there have been a few fails. I really like the Pano roof for the NW winters, very light and cool when you are downtown as well. It also looks really complicated but has not failed in the least (knock on wood). I live part time in a condo so could not really deal with a tall truck but needed to tow at 24' boat and wanted something fun to drive. Very fine vehicle in most respects.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Buying 2008 Cayenne S