Sponsored by:

Over-sensitive throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Over-sensitive throttle?

It definitely seems like the accellerator is overly sensitive. It takes great care to avoid lunging off the line in this vehicle. It seems odd they would calibrate a drive-by-wire system in this fashion. Any thoughts?
Old 03-19-2003, 01:38 PM
John Murray
Racer

Funny. I had a father/son complain that there was too much lag in the gas pedal. I explained that they were probabbly feeling Tiptronic lag, as the Cayenne we are using for test drives has had many different people with many different driving styles driving it over the last few days and the tip trans is most likely confused a bit. What do you all think?
Old 03-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I assume the Cayenne, like the '03 Range Rover, has at least two throttle position maps: one for road driving in high range and one for off-road driving in low range. Also, when I've driven the S I noticed the throttle was "quick" in the early part of the movement but "linear" in the latter part: I guess Porsche is trying, like those "high cam" actuators on some 968 throttle body kits etc. -- to give the car a sense of brisk acceleratio from a stand-still.

Conversely I found the throttle response to be quick (give or take the bulk of 5000lbs to be motivated) and the transmission was tight (with very little lag) but to what can one compare?

Obviously enough, if your foot is accustomed to a '73 911RS, sure, you'll find the Cayenne to be spongey. If you're accustomed to a Ford/GM/Dodge, well, the Cayenne will be a scalpel.

I really enjoyed the Cayenne drive train. The new Tipto feels perfectly matched to the engine, the chassis and the vehicle mass. It makes the RR/ML/X5 feel dated and, at least in the case of the '03 RR, I don't say that lightly. I always like the "old" ZF in the old RR (shared in part with the ML) but again it was silky smooth and refined with not pretensions for sport driving. Only the Infiniti FX45 came close in throttle response from a standstill or at speed (and I don't attribute this to the tiny bit better power-to-weight advantage) but the transmission in the FX takes its sweet time to respond to shifts. It's tight when it's in gear, but once you "tap" it for a downshift, it feels okay, but in comparison to the near instantaneous event of the Cayenne, the FX is not much slower, but much less decisive and hence nowhere near as rewarding or inspiring of confidence.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:18 PM
John from WA
Racer

Seeing how the Cayenne Tip is sourced from Japan, it makes you wonder if it comes from the same OEM manufacterer as the FX45's?

Don't know if it does or doesn't, just an interesting question.

Quick Reply: Over-sensitive throttle?