Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a Pepper S,,,Drove it in the canyons!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 03:35 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Carrera51:
<strong>

The C was brought out in a green group run session. I was hoping my student would catch it, but didn't quite get there before the session ended. The consensus seemed to be that it could be driven around the track safely, that it didn't overly obstruct the view of those behind it, and though just an "S" it had plenty of giddy-up. It also sounds (based on the chatter in the pits)like PCA is going to leave it up to the individual regions to decide whether or not to allow these things to participate in track events.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I was at Summit Point this weekend too. Sunday was my first time seeing the Cayenne and I was pretty impressed. Seats are great, the styling looked better in person, and the interior room was equal to if not greater than the Jeep GC I just purchased.

Mark,
I didn't know the Cayenne was going out with the Green sessions after lunch. I definitely would have stayed longer to see that. The little I saw and heard of the Cayenne on track(when DH was driving) seemed to indicate the truck may be allowed for DE with Potomac.
Thankfully I was able to limp my car to Curry's w/o furthur problems.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts
Mike:
Glad you got your car to Curry's. It looks and sounds great.

George:
I don't have a problem with Cayennes on the track during DEs. While instructing at one of the HPDCs in 2001, I was down at the skidpad when an ML55 came blasting into turn one during a Mercedes Club track event. I figure if the taller MB can get around the track, than the Pepper would be OK as well since it appears that Porsche took track driving into consideration when they designed it.

However, it's PCAs call not mine.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robert, Excellent Post. Thanks for sharing your experience, you obviously know more about driving a car than most of the folks on this forum, including me. I appreciate the balanced review of the Cayenne, it's about time since most of us have been reading the opinions on this forum, with most of the contributors never having driven one.

Ken
Old 03-17-2003, 07:45 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I agree with the others, Robert, I really enjoyed reading your post. You really wrung out that Cayenne. There's nothing like the satisfaction that comes from pushing it to the limit on familiar roads.

I side with the folks who think Cayennes ought to have some Cayenne-specific competitions sanctioned by PCA, involving activities appropriate for an SUV, perhaps a combination of on and off-road stuff, establishing that the vehicle is a great allrounder.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:20 AM
RobertG
Racer

from my drive. I think PCA regions need to think seriously about what tracks to allow the Cayenne on. Like the Socal PCA regions. I think the Cayenne would be fine on the BIG track at Willow springs. WHere you have long straights and long gentle sweeping turns and no real tight turns. But, I would not recommend the Cayenne to run on the Streets of Willow track at Willow springs. There the track is entirely too tight and there are alot of chances for it to roll. Too many off camber turns and drop offs. SOW, is a slower track but its track that forces alot more wieght transfer.

Quick Reply: Drove a Pepper S,,,Drove it in the canyons!