Sponsored by:

2nd Q: for Daily Drivers of Cayennes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 03:29 PM
RobertG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2nd Q: for Daily Drivers of Cayennes

How long are you willing to go without your Cayenne when its being serviced? IM saying this because ive had all sorts of Porsches for many years and after years of having to make appointments 1 to 2 weeks in advance to get service and then have to wait another week for parts that are not in. Even for the most routine maintenance procedures. Parts may not be in and your truck will have to be at the dealership. Ive had this happen at Oil changes, interior electronic glitches, for my Boxster and other 911's. Thankfully, they were my weekend cars and not my daily driver (which is a 178K mile ford explorer that is in and out of my ford service dealer in 1 to 2 days after the same day call for an appointment,,,,,it goes for service very rarely).....See, I just worry that Porsche dealerships arent up to the task of competing with the service departments of other high end of mid end SUV companies..DO you think that you would keep a Cayenne long if you were constantly waiting for an appointment spot to open at your dealer and then just have to wait 3 to 5 days for some basic part?
Whats your take? How long will you take that before you just turn in the Cayenne for another high end SUV that has a more efficient system of servicing your SUV?
Old 01-02-2003, 04:28 PM
j2nh
AutoX

Depends. The situation you describe is exactly the one I have faced twice in the last six months with my Mercedes ML 430. Both times the vehicle parked at the dealer for a week, once with and once without a loaner (dealer discretion for Mercedes). There is a notebook in the vehicle with a running list of minor problems which get taken care of at scheduled service. Certainly this is not as convenient as it was with my down the street Yukon dealer but it is managable. The bottom line on this is what the build quality of the vehicle is to start with. If it is built like my Mercedes it will be crap. If it is built like my 996 I can live with it.
Time will tell
Jim
01 996
Old 01-03-2003, 12:32 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I would hope that at least some of the hundreds of millions of dollars that the Porsche dealer network has spent on facilities and training related to the Cayenne went toward being prepared to deliver unassailable service for the Cayenne, the sensible and practical Porsche.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

I like to analyze thibgs mechanical, and have seen little on the engine itself. Is it an interference design? Does it have an aluminum block? Does it have a long fabric timing belt? If so, sounds like a throwback to the 928/944 design, both of which (944 mostly) for expensice headwork when the belts snapped. If it is not an interference design, this does make the engine more bulletproof IMHO, and I would certainly like to learn more. Performance, comfort and cargo space take the back seat to reliability. Ask anyone stranded off road in the Sonoran Desert (or even on road, for that matter!!!)

Cheers!!
Old 01-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know one (of the two) of my local Porsche dealers is expanding their Porsche service department to handle the anticipated additional service needs for the new C. I have heard indirectly that more space will be allocated for Porsche service and possibly the addition of another technician (or two?).

If Porsche intends to sell 25k or so of the C's in this US market in addition to the 986's and 996's, I would hope (and I kind of assume) they ramp up their service departments to handle the increased load. Otherwise, instead of 1-2 week wait times to get a service appointment for our sports cars, it'll be a month... That will not be acceptable to any Porsche owner.

I also think (at least in my area), the Porsche service departments will be able to keep busier in the winter months while most Porsche sports cars are in storage. My dealer service advisor told me the last time I was in for service that he really dislikes winter for his department because business is so slow except for the winter driven cars. The Porsche tech has to help out in other departments (BMW, Merc, etc) to keep busy during winter months.

Just my $.02...
Jay
<a href="http://www.jays911.com" target="_blank">90 964</a>
Old 01-04-2003, 12:56 AM
dawktah
Racer

When I posted a problem I had with my car the members on the PPBB, can I mention another board? Anyway it was recommended that I take it to a shop called Euro Carre in the south suburbs of Chicago and not to a dealer for just these reasons. It was also stated that mechanics were more qualified. This recommendation was given after I had drivebelt? break/come loose. This was soon after I had an oil change and was concerned it may have been iatrogenic.

Quick Reply: 2nd Q: for Daily Drivers of Cayennes