Sponsored by:

VW's Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:04 PM
Tom D's 993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post VW's Touareg

I've been checking in on the Pepper board every now and then for any updated info. Now that the kids are getting old enough not to want to come with us on ski trips and such, it's time to think about replacing our land yacht Suburban with something smaller. I see comparison's with X5's and Land Rover's (and the occasional mention of dedicated full off road trucks), but none with the VW. My understanding is that the Pepper shares about 80% of it's makeup with the VW. Owning 2 Porsches and certainly appreciating their engineering with regard to track duty (especially evident when comparing reliability and consistent braking ability of stock Porsches vs. stock versions of other makes), I don't expect to run an SUV the same way.
VW has come to the forefront of design and quality interior materials. They have made great strides in improving reliability.
My trouble is, how does one justify what appears to be about a $10,000 difference in price between the 2 NA V-8's we'll see in the US. The Porsche doesn't even have the advantage of a manual transmission and the VW looks like it may come standard with the air suspension. At the moment, my money will go to VW.
Have I overlooked something?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:00 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Talking

Hey Tom,
In the recent Auto Motor und Sport, issue 21, October '02, is a detailed Cayenne S and turbo overview. (also the neue 997 is featured on the front cover with several pages dedicated to the future 911 range) The Cayenne is getting interesting but so is the Touareg.

The VW and Porsche SUV range are "closer kin" than the marketing machine would like the buying public to understand. - Hey, its a job right. So much of the technic's are shared and much is outsourced to the same tier, one, two, suppliers, e.g. Brembo, Bosch. Porsche manufactures its motor range and VW theirs and other than that there is very little to differentiate these two products, image aside. Well, the VW undoubtedly will have the better interior quality. Porsche could only dream of executing the recent Audi/VW interior quality. Maybe that's a little harsh?

A published perspective from the Paris show was that the VW looked like a $100K version and the Porsche the $60K candidate. - Not verbatim, but ya catch my drift. Looks like a value proposition is going to win a buyer's argument or two.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Recent Autocar magazine noted the preponderance of VW/Audi Manufacturing stickers everywhere - but also quoted Porsche as confirming that although platforms and parts have been shared, no development data has - they are going to be very different in the way they drive.....
Old 10-10-2002, 10:59 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every review so far describes the T-egg as the better looking and better value between these kissin' cousins...

And Tom, it's more like a $25-30,000 difference between the top-of-the-line T-egg and a base P-fish.

Quick Reply: VW's Touareg