Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor life?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm surprised that nobody discussed re-facing their rotors. True, that in most cases where rotors are re-faced, vibration results. However, putting new pads on an existing grooved rotor begs for squealing; especially where the lip is created at the top and bottom portions of the rotor where the pad seats.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding re-facing the discs, here is what the Porsche service manual states.

* Only in a few exceptional cases is it adviseable to skim the brake discs (if there is a deep scoring or corrosion of the friction surface)

* Only as new discs may be reworked!

* Only rework the brake discs symetrically, evenly from both sides!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
fronts 36 rears 75
Same on my Cayenne S and always change rotors and pads.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something is going on with rear rotors for '11 CTTs. They're nowhere to be found in US, Sunset says they're on a month to two months back order and P of R thinks this might be "an upgraded part" issue
Old 05-15-2014, 01:35 AM
G$ 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this thread back to life. My 08 CTT (52K miles) has developed a bad break squeal with low speed braking. The pads have between 5-7 mm left but the dealer is telling me that my rotors are "cupped" and the only way to stop the squeal is with a full brake job (pads, rotors, etc). I believe this is the second pair of pads on the rig. Just purchased this car 3 months ago CPO'd too! This is an $$ job so wanted to get forum input regarding the dealer recommendation.

Thanks!.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The rule of thumb I use it 2 sets of pads per rotor, the dealer however has a rule which conflicts with that, every pad change.

At 52k if the dealer has done all the work should put you on the second set in which case i would just do the pads this time

Mine is a dealer maintained CPO

Before I changed the rotors for a squeak I would try different pads first, I out ceramic after market ones on which are great for dust and a lot quieter that oem

Originally Posted by G$ 993
Bringing this thread back to life. My 08 CTT (52K miles) has developed a bad break squeal with low speed braking. The pads have between 5-7 mm left but the dealer is telling me that my rotors are "cupped" and the only way to stop the squeal is with a full brake job (pads, rotors, etc). I believe this is the second pair of pads on the rig. Just purchased this car 3 months ago CPO'd too! This is an $$ job so wanted to get forum input regarding the dealer recommendation.

Thanks!.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:31 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

change the rotors and pads, i am about to do this myself. I like to do my own brake jobs, it always feels better with fresh, new pads and rotors.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:29 PM
G$ 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
The rule of thumb I use it 2 sets of pads per rotor, the dealer however has a rule which conflicts with that, every pad change.

At 52k if the dealer has done all the work should put you on the second set in which case i would just do the pads this time

Mine is a dealer maintained CPO

Before I changed the rotors for a squeak I would try different pads first, I out ceramic after market ones on which are great for dust and a lot quieter that oem
Thanks for input. Do you have a preference on ceramic pads?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:21 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Just went through this thought process myself. Here is the data I accumulated:

1) Tech Specs for all models:

I did a search through Google for: Cayenne technical measurements/Brake wear limits and the top result is a .pdf that was right on the money. I didn't put that data there, I don't have that data to put there... I just found it by doing a search on Google.

2) Digital calipers won't give accurate readings of the discs due to the lip on the rotor and the depth of the rotor. You'll need a purpose made brake rotor micrometer, a rotor measurement tool or an attachment kit for the caliper you already own that turns it into a "good enough" deep welled micrometer. There are lots of tools under $50 for sale online. Do a search on Amazon for "brake rotor micrometer" and at least 10 will come up to give you ideas... though, of course, you don't have to buy there.

3) Measurements indicate that after 46,545 miles on my C tt S I have burned off only .6mm and .4mm on the front and rear rotors, respectively, worst case. That is out of a maximum of 2mm allowed. Most of those 46k miles were highway miles.
So if your wear rate remains steady, your rotors should be good for close to 150,000 miles. Of course if you run track events or tow a heavy trailer, you might want to replace at 100,000 just for peace of mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotor life?